A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > The Axis Trilogy
 () 1 Vote
The Axis Trilogy  [message #68920] Tue, 20 January 2015 21:13 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I wonder how many of you have discovered The Axis Trilogy yet?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The Axis Trilogy  [message #68960 is a reply to message #68920] Tue, 27 January 2015 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

After The Moor concludes there will be a short intermission. Then I'll See You Down There will start after approximately a six week gap, and Solsticeman has already sent me all dozen chapters. It has taken him a lot of research and 14 months to write. It will complete The Axis Trilogy.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The Axis Trilogy  [message #68972 is a reply to message #68960] Fri, 30 January 2015 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jolyon Lewes

Toe is in the water

The Moor is an intriguing historical novella describing the extraordinary adventures of a boy from an impoverished background in Southern Italy. It is set in the Second World War and things are not going well for the Axis powers. Our young hero sets out on a mission to Rome and finds himself caught up in some of the decisive actions of the War. For currency he has only one thing to offer - his body. How he gains favours from the many men he meets on his arduous journey is so skillfully described that it seems the most natural thing in the world and not in any way sordid.

Solsticeman has produced another gripping tale of the courage of a young boy facing the most appalling of situations alone armed only with his guile and his physical beauty.

A marvellous read.

Jolyon

Jolyon
Re: The Axis Trilogy  [message #68973 is a reply to message #68972] Fri, 30 January 2015 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

As you read it, and as you read the final part, due soon, be aware of the points where the stories touch each other. Each is freestanding, yet each is better with the others, too

I'll See You Down There  [message #69084 is a reply to message #68920] Thu, 19 February 2015 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I'll See You Down There has started today. I was in tears after the first section. There is something so vivid about the picture painted of a man looking back over past... well, you will know 'past what' when you read this amazing third part of the trilogy.

Re: The Axis Trilogy  [message #69144 is a reply to message #68920] Fri, 27 February 2015 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jolyon Lewes

Toe is in the water

I've just read Chapter 6 of I'll See You Down There. What a gripping read it is proving to be!

The action on Crete in the first part of the chapter is told as excitingly as in a really good thriller, with one or two nasty shocks to remind the reader that this is a war story as well as a love story. In later parts of the chapter I found myself learning for the first time about major actions in World War 2 that have eluded me until today.

Our admirable hero, Gottfried, is growing up fast but, thankfully, it looks like he's about to indulge in some rare and much-needed sexual release.

Jolyon
Re: The Axis Trilogy  [message #69145 is a reply to message #69144] Fri, 27 February 2015 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I think it reminds us that history is written by the eventual victors. I learned a lot I never knew about the Great War from a visit to Slovenia and the return match when I visited Budapest.

The story inside the history is quite remarkable.

Re: The Axis Trilogy  [message #69418 is a reply to message #68920] Mon, 06 April 2015 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

For those of you in the UK, the John Suchet hosted Easter series on BBC TV that follows the life of St Peter follows him this week into Rome... along the Via Appia Antica, visiting the catacombs under the church of St Sebastian Catacumba. That is where Carlo received advice on how to find a priest who can introduce him to his ultimate destination a cardinal in the Vatican. Now I understand why Carlo was impressed by the catacombs... spooky!

[Updated on: Mon, 06 April 2015 23:23]

Re: The Axis Trilogy  [message #69458 is a reply to message #69418] Sat, 11 April 2015 10:02 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
solsticeman wrote on Tue, 07 April 2015 00:22For those of you in the UK, the John Suchet hosted Easter series on BBC TV that follows the life of St Peter follows him this week into Rome... along the Via Appia Antica, visiting the catacombs under the church of St Sebastian Catacumba. That is where Carlo received advice on how to find a priest who can introduce him to his ultimate destination a cardinal in the Vatican. Now I understand why Carlo was impressed by the catacombs... spooky!

--
I missed that, but I loathe John Suchet. 

Previous Topic: "Where Do I Fit In" by Andrew Foote
Next Topic: Michael Arram his stories.
Goto Forum: