A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Age and Topic Appropriate Subjects for Immigrant Teens
icon1.gif Age and Topic Appropriate Subjects for Immigrant Teens  [message #69139] Thu, 26 February 2015 12:00 Go to next message
docP is currently offline  docP

Getting started

Help I need somebody!

There are a small group of we medics out here in the US and Canada, working with an equally fragile clique in Europe, who have been passed the fragile, tectonic plate which is the newly arrived refugee teenager. Now, any adolescent boy is a basket case of hormones, a quicksand of pubescence. Boys, girls, both, neither.... who knows? Add to that the plate tectonics of the earth shift of the violence of the Middle East, or the corruption of Sub-Saharan Africa, or the poverty of Central America, or the antedeluvian family practices of rural south Asia and it is surprising our hospital mortuaries are not overflowing with the bodies of Mexican, Afghan, Syrian, Columbian, Somali, Gambian and Arab teenage boys.
Perhaps they may be. My team and I only cover three US states, one Canadian province and four EU countries - and the last only partly. We are only scratching the surface, applying a Bandaid to an arterial wound. 
In the weeks between appointments, when we leave our protégés, as we call them, to reflect on our talks, we use positive message stories as one of the resources at our disposal.
Our boys- and all but a tiny handful are boys, not girls - are referred to my team because we focus on issues of non-traditional sexual orientation. However, we take this in the context of everything else: PTSD, new school and friends, new country and language, bigotry and racism, different family values, gender equality, children's rights, attitudes to abuse, religious ethos, moral and social ethics and community norms, in fact the whole nine yards. Everything and everyone has changed at just the same time as one's own body has become a foreign species as well and alien feelings have begun. 
Life is insane.
You remember this. I certainly do. Now magnify it ten-fold for these boys.
So we need your help. At the danger of offending Timmy, who has been a rare beacon of light for me in recent weeks since being caste into this new rôle, I am not going to repeat what I have already written elsewhere, but am probably going to break weblore or whatever and ask those of you who care about LGBT teen refugees to read of their plight and of how by just reading stories or writing a comment you can help us help them.
The catch-up place to do that is my very basic and most amateurish blog at www.daktaris.wordpress.com where you can comment or follow, or you may comment here or email me directly. It is simply not an acceptable option for us to do nothing any longer. Sorry. No pressure.....NOT!
Doc

Ubarikiwe - Be Blessed!
Re: Age and Topic Appropriate Subjects for Immigrant Teens  [message #69140 is a reply to message #69139] Thu, 26 February 2015 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

You are never going to offend me by asking for help! Ask as often and wherever you can. Receive the advice, question it until you understand it, then accept or reject it with a good heart

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Age and Topic Appropriate Subjects for Immigrant Teens  [message #69141 is a reply to message #69140] Thu, 26 February 2015 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

>www.daktaris.wordpress.com[/font-family]<

More needs to be done with your web-site if you are going to solicit for contacts and other ancillary help/supports.  I gave up trying to follow who you were and what your agency was about after the third or fourth installment of the narrative.

You mention the Awesome Dude web-site amongst others as having content appropriate for your charges; two more potentially worthy of your first look would be Crvboy and Gay Authors.  Both feature a variety of content and I'm certain amongst their combined topics you'll find stories appealing youngsters of many cultures.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

Addendum:

One more, and I can't for the life of me think of why I omitted it the first time around, is the Stories By Driver web-site administered by Crvboy and hosted independently.  Here are featured teen-driven fiction crossing a variety of boundaries; stories from an author that has been subject of considerable controversy in the past leading to their complete withdrawal from public access for a number of years.  Fully reconstituted with the author's consent, this web-site recently has included three of his most newest offerings.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 February 2015 19:27]

Re: Age and Topic Appropriate Subjects for Immigrant Teens  [message #69142 is a reply to message #69141] Thu, 26 February 2015 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This is the link to DocP's site daktaris.wordpress.com. It does need some more thought, and is a work in progress. Doc, some static pages would be useful. Wordpress is hugely flexible and you can do pretty much anything you need. The best thing is that you can try stuff out. I've built excellent sites in Wordpress and not even broken sweat over it. It's so much more than a blog

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Age and Topic Appropriate Subjects for Immigrant Teens  [message #69171 is a reply to message #69142] Mon, 02 March 2015 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

One thing that strikes me is the paucity of tales about LGBT teenagers from some of the areas you state. Nifty used to, may still, have "Interracial" as some sort of fetish. An online friend still refer to people who like the chinotype as "Rice Queens". Black folk tend to be written about in an exploitative manner.

Now, we cater for the niche that has been, so far, the white teenage gay boy. That's only because the authors I have found write about what they know.

Bizarrely I know one reasonably prolific author who will find it much easier to come out as gay to his real life friends, than as a black man to his online fans. He writes about white teenage gay boys. But then I know one lady approaching 70 who writes some of the best teenage gay male fiction I've read. She has not and will not come out as being a lady of rising 70; her audience expect her to be a gay white male of some age or other. Then we have the heterosexual men who write gay teenage stories. That upsets people, it seems.

The point I am half making is that the LGBT world has as great a proportion of Twilight Zone matters as the heterosexual world.

So, how, Doc, do we service your particular minority segment of our significant minority?

[Updated on: Mon, 02 March 2015 00:01]

Re: Age and Topic Appropriate Subjects for Immigrant Teens  [message #69202 is a reply to message #69171] Fri, 06 March 2015 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ray is currently offline  Ray

Getting started

<So, how, Doc, do we service your particular minority segment of our significant minority?>

It seems to me this is not just about literature. What many of these boys need is just someone to talk to (write to?) who is neither parent nor peer, because they simply won't talk to either of these groups about their issues.
Often just a few stories of how difficult it was from someone older... but not a relative, can help greatly. 
I have done some such 'mentoring', simply by offering myself as a buddy and chatting at length.
It should not be forgotten that arrival in a foreign land leads slowly to another problem, which is that kids adapt to their new environment faster than parents, and after a while major communication breakdown with their parents can result. They become caught between two cultures. Here, discussions of the sort I mention above can be very helpful.
Cultures differ and so do the problems.

So that is what we could do - talk to them, write to them. To be there 1:1 and not just hidden behind the internet!

Ray

PS: I agree with Timmy about the concentration on white teens - just have to look at the 'total inspiration' thread. Not much for me there, but I am no photographer.
Re: Age and Topic Appropriate Subjects for Immigrant Teens  [message #72428 is a reply to message #69139] Wed, 11 January 2017 22:35 Go to previous message
Oldfoxbob is currently offline  Oldfoxbob

Getting started

I am not sure just what you are really asking for here.   Just stories? That can be found on a web site called Nifty or other sites. If your asking for help for these kids, then, well good luck. I my self have in the past taken in several run a ways, fed them, clothed them, saw that they completed school etc. All with NO strings attached. No sex, no repayments, no drugs, no nothing, and I will do it again and again as long as I live. I think I have taken in a total of 8 kids so far in the past. Ranging from 14 to 24 all homeless, gay or bi and one str8. I dont care who they are, or how they became homeless, my spouse and I are dedicated to their well being and future even if our counrty is not. So I understand what your going through with all these waifs. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions that you feel I may be able to answer. 
Oldfoxbob. 

Just little old me
Previous Topic: Retro Inspiration
Next Topic: The site is 20 years old in January 2017
Goto Forum: