A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Larkin's Largesse
Larkin's Largesse  [message #69964] Fri, 17 July 2015 04:33 Go to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

I'm finding myself enjoying Larkin's recent contributions to the stories here. More "vignettes" than regular stories, they're a rather enchanting set of tales about the little things that contribute to making a wonderful life. Easy, quick, and meaningful. Nicely done.
More Larkin's Largesse - The Retard  [message #69990 is a reply to message #69964] Mon, 20 July 2015 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

I've enjoyed all of Larkin's stories on here, but my favourite so far is his latest - The Retard. It had a profound effect on me and left me thinking about so many things, and those thoughts lasted much longer than the time it took to read this very short story.

Larkin's stories seem to pay particular attention to young people who are different and how they are treated by society. This story deals with that even more poignantly. We are often freaked out by unusual behaviours that are outside the social norm. I admit to being no different from most people in that regard. Yet, if just one person can see beyond the weirdness, wouldn't life be richer?

Some of the word combinations, e.g. 'sandy voice' are new to me, but just that very short phrase provided a detailed mental impression. Obviously, a sandy voice is smoother than the more familiar 'gravelly voice', but not as smooth as one might expect from an 11 year old boy.

To say more would risk introducing spoilers, so just go and read it!

Kit
Re: More Larkin's Largesse - The Retard  [message #69991 is a reply to message #69990] Mon, 20 July 2015 12:30 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I meet different folk on a weekly basis. I am a volunteer with a group that takes the disabled afloat, ideally as theĀ skipper of their own boat. Those with physical challenges love the freedom, as do those with intellectual challenges, but the latter are the least easy to work with. Sometimes I am unable to understand the concepts they are trying to put across, and need to ask more than once, perhaps getting help from a carer

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: The Fugitive Kid and the Misfit
Next Topic: Where are the other good stories?
Goto Forum: