A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Our email server is currently blocked by Spamhaus
Our email server is currently blocked by Spamhaus  [message #70089] Sun, 09 August 2015 16:55 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Our host has been the victim of being the source for Showshoe Spam. Spamhaus, one of the most reliable block list prioviders, has our IP address in a range block for an entire IP range. This is normal, but aggravating, and it affects over 60% of our email list that announces stories. This happened between our Wednesday mailing and our Friday mailing.

We are unable to undo this ourselves and depend on our supplier. Our supplier is a sub-supplier of another corporation, and they depend on that corporation. We have opened a support ticket with our folk, and they have opened a ticket with their folk. It's possible that another tenant in this IP range, perhaps more than one, have open relay email servers, meaning , broadly, that they can be hijacked and used to send spam email blasts without the server owner being aware. There are other mechanisms that can be used as well.

To solve the problem the owner of the IP range has to show to Spamhaus that they have solved the problem. Usually this is done by kicking people off their servers. The entire process takes a few days. It is likely that others have already raised support requests.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Our email server is currently blocked by Spamhaus  [message #70091 is a reply to message #70089] Mon, 10 August 2015 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This affects all email out, not just the newsletter, so I am unable, currently, to reply to those who have sent me stories to look at or continuation chapters who happen to be on the wrong email system. This includes all Yahoo and Hotmail and a vast number of other servers.

If you are expecting a reply from an iomfats email address please be patient until the snowploughs have been to Spamhaus

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Our email server is currently blocked by Spamhaus  [message #70108 is a reply to message #70091] Fri, 14 August 2015 07:48 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

The email system is now no longer blocked. Normal service has been resumed

Previous Topic: People are unusual things
Next Topic: Help: friend abused as a kid
Goto Forum: