A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > More Shameful self promotion
More Shameful self promotion   [message #70283] Wed, 07 October 2015 01:14 Go to next message
James Matthews is currently offline  James Matthews

Toe is in the water

Hello dear friends of IOMFATS,

I am currently writing a new story and wanted to basically let people know it was out there. Some of you may have read my current works based on this site such as... For Everything you Are, The Saturday Boy, and my last standalone book - Puppy for Sale, which Timmy is till kindly hosting for me as we speak. One thing I have never wanted to do (or try to do is promote a book I am writing which I am pretty sure will end up being on this site, because logically, if I did that, by the time it gets here people may have already read it elsewhere and where is the fun in that.

However...

Having been told by Timmy what sort of things he looks for when choosing a story and extensively reading his written criteria on the site, I am pretty certain I can make an exception on my current brand new novel as I'm pretty sure it will not fit into the genre / style that is normally taken here.

For any Sci-Fi / Fantasy fiction fans out there I am tapping away to create a new story in that genre. It is called PURITY. Having not written anything like this before and feeling right out of my comfort zone with my usual "boy meets boy" dramas I wanted to get some quality feed back on what folks think?

The first chapter is already posted, the second is with my editor and chapter 3, I am in the middle off so there is a good chunk of plot and character development to review.

If Timmy has no objections I would like to post the link to my new book for fans of that genre and get some food feedback as to what you might think?

Note to Timmy, If that is something your are not comfortable with then please let me know and I shall remove this thread.

In the meantime here is the story link: Press to be beamed right there!

Whether you like Purity, or in fact any of my stories either based here or on my own site please do comment be it positive or criticism as both are almost as good as being paid for my work. I love to hear what readers think for my stuff probably even more than the pleasure of writing the story itself.

All the best folks and happy reading.

Be safe

Westie

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=2106&private=0

[Updated on: Wed, 07 October 2015 01:18] by Moderator

Re: More Shameful self promotion   [message #70284 is a reply to message #70283] Wed, 07 October 2015 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

As long as the theme is teenage, though that may morph into adulthood during the tale, the story fits the niche here. From the first chapter I have no real idea where it is going, of course.

The thing about publishing to completeness elsewhere and then publishing here too is that it opens up a new and second audience for your writing. If it's the right genre and up to your usual standard I am happy to take it. You have not disappointed me yet!

SciFi is absolutely fine here. All SciFi is based on reality, as we all know.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: More Shameful self promotion   [message #70285 is a reply to message #70284] Thu, 08 October 2015 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

I'll get around to reading it soon. I absolutely love the artwork! You have to tell me where/how you got that!

raysstories.com
Re: More Shameful self promotion   [message #70291 is a reply to message #70285] Thu, 08 October 2015 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

@ Timmy - Thanks, yeah it is based around a teen male but I don't want to spoil it by saying too much as you can imagine. As this is my first Sci-Fi attempt I really didn't want to complicate things by starting off with too many Main Characters. This may (and knowing the way I am) increase but if I am reading you right then maybe it will be good to give it a second home here too in the future (and as always you have my blessing to do that)

@ Smokr - Thanks, I hope you will give it a read and tell me what you think. Ahh, the artwork is something I put together myself using some software. Its been painfully slow but I have increased my knowledge on creating the artwork for my stories which I love to do. I originally was going to create something showing the main character (something I normally do) but I know how some readers love to create their own John Doe, so this time I left it to the reader's imagination and used a rather more cryptic effect. Glad you like it. My intention was to keep it sharp, clean and simple.

Lastly I must apologise for my original post which I read back in horror the next day due to the amount of errors in it. As a user of Zopiclone for insomnia I normally step away from the computer around 20 minutes after taking it due to eactly the reasons just mentioned - It makes my brain and eyes go silly. But anyway that night, because I wanted to get the chapter put on the site and the post here I rather left it too late and my mind went to shit! haha

And by the way Smokr, I did intend to title it "Shameless Self promotion" But... yeah for reasons now mentioned it ended up "shameful" DOH! 

West
Re: More Shameful self promotion   [message #70294 is a reply to message #70291] Fri, 09 October 2015 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We have more SciFi than you can shake a stick at, you just have to look for it. So yes, potentially it has a second home here. You wrote love stories, after all. Some are rather grittier than we are used to, and that is all to the good.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: More Shameful self promotion   [message #70301 is a reply to message #70294] Fri, 09 October 2015 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

Your praise has always become my benchmark for quality, Timmy, so thank you Smile
Re: More Shameful self promotion   [message #70305 is a reply to message #70301] Sun, 11 October 2015 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

I'm something of a sci-fi geek myself, so once I get a bit of time and the story gets into a few chapters (since I believe it can, at times, be kind of difficult to judge a story or offer any hugely meaningful feedback based on a single chapter), I'll start reading and let you know what I think.

I will say, though, that the artwork you put in your initial post in this thread is very funky (in a good way!).  It at the very least makes me want to take a look at the story, which I think many people will say is half the battle right there.
Re: More Shameful self promotion   [message #70306 is a reply to message #70305] Sun, 11 October 2015 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Deverill is currently offline  Nick Deverill

Toe is in the water

Well, I've now read chapters one and two. Both good and certainly makes one wish there was a chapter three to read. And probably then a chapter four etc.

The heading 'sci-fi' is a pretty broad church really as it can encompass the most minor items, to something not on earth, with no people of earth or even a close relation. Really alien in other words.
Re: More Shameful self promotion   [message #70309 is a reply to message #70306] Sun, 11 October 2015 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

@ Mark, I hope you do and I agree it is nice to have a few chapters to get you going with. I am certainly one of those people who would never even look at a story unless it was some 20 chapters in, or even finished as I tend to binge read, much like I do with TV drama series haha. Thanks for the feedback on the Artwork, glad you like it.

@ Nick, Thanks for the positive feedback and if you take another look chapter 3 is now up to read. Chapter for is in editing so that will come soon, and I have just taken a break from chapter 5 to come here and answer you guys lol. So there is more in the pipeline, hope you'll stick around to enjoy the coming adventure.

All the best to you

West
Re: More Shameful self promotion   [message #70311 is a reply to message #70309] Sun, 11 October 2015 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Deverill is currently offline  Nick Deverill

Toe is in the water

And chapter 3 now read, with the result I want to read chapter 4!
Re: More Shameful self promotion   [message #70315 is a reply to message #70311] Mon, 12 October 2015 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

Its there Smile
Re: More Shameful self promotion   [message #70316 is a reply to message #70315] Tue, 13 October 2015 00:23 Go to previous message

Toe is in the water

Just sent chapter 5 to the cutting room. Its in the hands of the Gods. Only in work for an hour or so tomorrow so guess that means some more Writing, hehehe, love it!
Previous Topic: Nick's Story
Next Topic: Taming my work
Goto Forum: