A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Mutual support.
Mutual support.  [message #70649] Sat, 19 December 2015 08:50 Go to next message
Andichan is currently offline  Andichan

Getting started

I thought I'd mention that Solsticeman underwent surgery yesterday in order to save his sight. He will have to have one further procedure before his vision is fully restored so it might be nice if those of us within the IOMfAtS community sent him messages of good will and encouragement together with wishes for a speedy recovery.
Happy Christmas everyone!      Andy.

Andy.
Re: Mutual support.  [message #70651 is a reply to message #70649] Sun, 20 December 2015 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

Message sent.  Thanks for letting us know about that, Andy.
Re: Mutual support.  [message #70653 is a reply to message #70651] Sun, 20 December 2015 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

Many thanks for the kind messages. Surgery went as perfectly as I could have hoped for, not the slightest trace of alarm or discomfort and no "red and swollen" that had been promised. If it wasn't for the vast improvement in vision, and the drops every few hours, I really wouldn't know that anything had happened.

To anyone reading this and considering cataract surgery... go for it, it's a miraculous new colourful and pin-sharp world out there. Now, back to "inspiration"
Re: Mutual support.  [message #70656 is a reply to message #70653] Sun, 20 December 2015 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jolyon Lewes

Toe is in the water

Good to hear your news, Solsticeman. Nothing to stop you writing more wonderful stories now! And here we are, at the solstice....

Merry Christmas.

Jolyon

Jolyon
Re: Mutual support.  [message #70685 is a reply to message #70649] Wed, 30 December 2015 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
Andichan wrote on Sat, 19 December 2015 08:50I thought I'd mention that Solsticeman underwent surgery yesterday in order to save his sight. He will have to have one further procedure before his vision is fully restored so it might be nice if those of us within the IOMfAtS community sent him messages of good will and encouragement together with wishes for a speedy recovery.
Happy Christmas everyone!      Andy.

--
In terms of mutual support, Andichan, how is your own health? You have been all quiet on the story and forum front for a while.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Mutual support.  [message #70696 is a reply to message #70685] Wed, 30 December 2015 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

Glad to know it all went well Sol. My own vision problems cannot be corrected with surgery, they are degenerative. Now nearing fifty, I often notice the blurring and difficulty reading.

raysstories.com
Re: Mutual support.  [message #70715 is a reply to message #70696] Sat, 02 January 2016 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

Jolyon and Smokr (and everyone else who has been so kind), many thanks. I have made a splendid and swift recovery. I need to keep it indoors and clean etc but otherwise the only problem is just how unsatisfactory, dull and hazy the untreated eye is... bring out more knives I say!

I'm sorry to hear of your problems Smokr. Back in 2009 I thought I was heading that way myself, and I can recall the worry, so my thoughts are with you. Have you tried audio reading? I know that before his surgery Mike at awesomedude did much of his admin reading by that means. Andichan has created some wonderful audio versions of his own work.

People really have been very kind, and I feel a bit of a fraud, having dodged the bullet so completely.
Re: Mutual support.  [message #70716 is a reply to message #70715] Sat, 02 January 2016 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

Nothing like trading in Coke bottles for RayBans. Your adventures need no longer be limited to the solstice. Congrats!
Re: Mutual support.  [message #70717 is a reply to message #70715] Sat, 02 January 2016 20:30 Go to previous message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

Don't feel like a fraud, feel lucky and fortunate. Cataracts have now become almost easily corrected. Soon even far- and near-sightedness will be so easily fixed. That is already becoming mainstream. Maybe someday even degenerative disorders can be corrected.
I am highly prone to eye and inner-ear infections. Each time I get the equivalent of pink-eye I lose a bit more sight, and each time I get an ear infection I lose a bit of hearing clarity and sensitivity. Oddly, on the other hand, I almost never get colds or flu. Go figure. Probably due at least partially to the vitamins and supplements I take to help ward off eye and ear infections.
I already enjoy some audio books, as I can use an mp3/ipod at work.

raysstories.com
Previous Topic: A thought for 2016 and beyond
Next Topic: Come again?
Goto Forum: