A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > New Here: Need Help Finding Stories In My Wheelhouse.
New Here: Need Help Finding Stories In My Wheelhouse.  [message #70861] Tue, 19 January 2016 21:18 Go to next message
Logan1234 is currently offline  Logan1234

Getting started

Hello,

I'm new to this site and so far have enjoyed reading some amazing, plot-filled stories. There are a lot to read though, so I was hoping for some site veterans to point me in the right direction. Two stories that I've read and enjoyed immensely are The Move by Doug Smith and Everything Will Turn Out Alright by Cy Kun. Both stories provided me with what I enjoy in a story: plot depth, character development, and good emotional situations surrounding the leads. What I enjoyed slightly more about Cy Kun's story is the more descriptive sexual interactions. So if anyone could make any recommendations with those two stories as a reference  I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you.

Re: New Here: Need Help Finding Stories In My Wheelhouse.  [message #70862 is a reply to message #70861] Tue, 19 January 2016 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Every story here has depth of characterisation and plot. Some have graphic sex, some less graphic, some even have no sex at all. I hardly know where to suggest that you start, because we do not categorise tales by type.

What I suggest is that you start at one place in the list of authors, and read more than one of their stories. If you like them, continue, and email them to let them know you have enjoyed their work.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: New Here: Need Help Finding Stories In My Wheelhouse.  [message #70865 is a reply to message #70861] Wed, 20 January 2016 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Matthews is currently offline  James Matthews

Toe is in the water

Quote:
Logan1234 wrote on Tue, 19 January 2016 21:18Hello,

I'm new to this site and so far have enjoyed reading some amazing, plot-filled stories. There are a lot to read though, so I was hoping for some site veterans to point me in the right direction. Two stories that I've read and enjoyed immensely are The Move by Doug Smith and Everything Will Turn Out Alright by Cy Kun. Both stories provided me with what I enjoy in a story: plot depth, character development, and good emotional situations surrounding the leads. What I enjoyed slightly more about Cy Kun's story is the more descriptive sexual interactions. So if anyone could make any recommendations with those two stories as a reference  I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you.

--

Welcome Logan,

Timmy works hard to make sure the stuff on here is quality, which is why I'm not sure how I got accepted. Kidding! But he is right when he suggests it is a hard question to answer. On my browsing journey of Gay Fiction forums I do see the question of "What should I read?" asked a lot. It is indeed a worthwhile question, but one I think cannot come without a biased answer because each reader will have a different threshold on what they assume to be a good story. I for example am quite happy to read a story with mildly poor grammar as long as the story is compelling. Some readers however will drop a story is they see one spelling mistake. Others like sex scenes to in the the story but not be graphical described and other couldn't give a fuck! <<< I also like to read stories with swearing in them because I think they display an honestly to a character in what they are talking about. My father always told me never to trust a man who doesn't swear haha. To me a good author is one that keeps you guessing with the plot and always moves the story along chapter by chapter. To me a scene at the seaside that takes 3 chapters to describe would turn me off. I like fast paced novels that beg me to stay up all night reading them.

Although I cant tell you what should read, a little trick is to see if a story is posted on multiple sites as in my opinion a good solid story will always tend to break out from its original home.

Let us know what you chose in the end.

And again, be welcome Smile
Re: New Here: Need Help Finding Stories In My Wheelhouse.  [message #70869 is a reply to message #70865] Wed, 20 January 2016 09:44 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

That stories are in multiple sites is, I fear, no guarantee of quality. If they are on multiple sites that care about quality that is different.

There are very few stories here that miss the mark. I have them here because they paint a picture in my head that I am happy to see. Sometimes that is a harsh, bleak picture, other times it is happy. Often it has a rosy hue. By no means all are great literature. A few are. Most are simply "excellent reads" and all of us favour some authors over others.

The best approach is to join the site's email list to see the new material, and to enjoy trawling the site for the older stories. The quality exists throughout the portfolio.

We have some scifi, some fantasy, 99.9% teenage gay romance, a very few adult/youth tales, and a few bleak, harsh tales

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: My First Time As Soni
Next Topic: Raphael Henry
Goto Forum: