A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > The Pick of the Bunch, by Ivor Slipper
The Pick of the Bunch, by Ivor Slipper  [message #71782] Tue, 02 August 2016 10:32 Go to next message
Jolyon Lewes

Toe is in the water

I want to draw readers' attention to this very poignant short story by Ivor Slipper, who drew his inspiration from a picture he recently posted on 'Total Inspiration.' The picture is here:

http://forum.iomfats.org/t/8824/#page_top

The story concerns a boy called Jake who sees a French boy at his school being bullied and wades in to defend him. Jake befriends the boy, whom he calls Ren, and a tender relationship begins to form. There are problems to come, however and these are described with great sensitivity, leading to a conclusion that beautifully invokes the picture and gives the title its double-meaning. I challenge any reader to finish this story with dry eyes.

Here is the story:

http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/ivor-slipper/shorts/the -pick-of-the-bunch.html

Jolyon

[Updated on: Tue, 02 August 2016 10:34]

Jolyon
Re: The Pick of the Bunch, by Ivor Slipper  [message #71783 is a reply to message #71782] Tue, 02 August 2016 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Deverill is currently offline  Nick Deverill

Toe is in the water

The actual picture is at the end of the story.
Re: The Pick of the Bunch, by Ivor Slipper  [message #71785 is a reply to message #71783] Thu, 04 August 2016 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

Beautifully done, well done Ivor. Give it a go guys... remember to take tissues with you.
Re: The Pick of the Bunch, by Ivor Slipper  [message #71789 is a reply to message #71782] Mon, 08 August 2016 14:34 Go to previous message
ivor slipper is currently offline  ivor slipper

Likes it here

Thanks to Jolyon & Sosticeman for their appreciative comments on this story. Also to others who have sent individual feedback.

I'm sorry it was a rather sad tale but that was how the picture spoke to me.
Previous Topic: Brian goes to college, by Nick Brady
Next Topic: Wild Boys and Metal Horses
Goto Forum: