A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Another Life by Andrew Foote
Another Life by Andrew Foote  [message #72061] Tue, 01 November 2016 18:34 Go to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

An excellent start, a boy, well brought up, wealthy once... and a cardboard box

It has the feel of one of Andrew's good ones. I can't wait for more.
Re: Another Life by Andrew Foote  [message #72082 is a reply to message #72061] Fri, 04 November 2016 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Deverill is currently offline  Nick Deverill

Toe is in the water

Now up to chapter three. Goodness knows where Andrew is going with this, but it's sure a very interesting ride.

What do you mean you've not read it, chapter one is here.
Re: Another Life by Andrew Foote  [message #72083 is a reply to message #72082] Fri, 04 November 2016 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I'm in the lucky position of having a full preview. The direction it takes surprised me more than once.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Another Life by Andrew Foote  [message #72101 is a reply to message #72083] Fri, 11 November 2016 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

And now a Bollinger engine... The lads will have fun with one of those, and Andrew is definitely showing his canal experience.

For the too lazy to Google, a Bollinger is usually a two stroke diesel, known as a hot bulb engine as you have to have a heat source to get combustion under way. A lot were fitted in the early days to canal boats in the UK. You don't stop one unless you really have to as restarting can take ten minutes - much fun can be had at the expense of officialdom who've often not met this type of engine before.                                                                                            
Re: Another Life by Andrew Foote  [message #72102 is a reply to message #72101] Fri, 11 November 2016 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Nick "
And now a Bollinger engine... The lads will have fun with one of those, and Andrew is definitely showing his canal experience.

--
Ah, the champagne of engines!

Gotta love autocorrect

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Another Life by Andrew Foote  [message #72103 is a reply to message #72102] Fri, 11 November 2016 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ivor slipper is currently offline  ivor slipper

Likes it here

Quote:
timmy wrote on Fri, 11 November 2016 13:31
"Nick "

--

Gotta love autocorrect

--

You could've kept Mumm about it, Timmy ......
Re: Another Life by Andrew Foote  [message #72104 is a reply to message #72103] Fri, 11 November 2016 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Quote:
ivor slipper wrote on Fri, 11 November 2016 14:21
"Quote:"
timmy wrote on Fri, 11 November 2016 13:31
"Nick "

--

Gotta love autocorrect

--

You could've kept Mumm about it, Timmy ......

--
True. Nick will have Lafitte when he sees!

Re: Another Life by Andrew Foote  [message #72105 is a reply to message #72104] Fri, 11 November 2016 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

Quote:
timmy wrote on Fri, 11 November 2016 15:42
Quote:
True. Nick will have Lafitte when he sees!

Not really, after all méthode champenoise is largely English. The French were trying to get rid of the pesky bubbles.

Back to the story, once they figure out how to run the engine, it ought to run just fine on filtered waste chip oil. They might be able to get this for free, Fish and Chip shops have to pay to dispose of used oil.
Re: Another Life by Andrew Foote  [message #72106 is a reply to message #72105] Fri, 11 November 2016 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Every Bolinder starting sequence video on Youtube I have found so far involves a blowlamp. Andy, how does the taper work, please?

Re: Another Life by Andrew Foote  [message #72287 is a reply to message #72106] Mon, 12 December 2016 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andichan is currently offline  Andichan

Getting started

I admit it. The method of starting a Bollinder is by heating the cylinder head using a blowlamp, but rather than taking the story further into the Not At All Likely by having such an item kicking around, I used some literary licence.

I have a 1930's Mayfield power plough with a two-stroke Diesel engine which uses an impregnated taper which, once glowing, is screwed into the top of the cylinder head to help ignite the fuel once compressed.
I also have a 4kVa generator powered by a Petter four-stroke diesel, and the only method to get the beast to fire, is by squirting engine oil into the fuel line hoping that friction and compression does the job, but the many cuts and bruises on my shins caused by the kick back from the crank handle pays witness to the fact that it isn't easy!

Andy.
Re: Another Life by Andrew Foote  [message #72288 is a reply to message #72287] Mon, 12 December 2016 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

They'd never have sorted out a blowlamp. The only taper engine I've seen is one of these:

Though I've not seen one swung before. I do like the decompressor system.

The more 'usual' starting method (the one I have seen more often) is here:

Re: Another Life by Andrew Foote  [message #72290 is a reply to message #72288] Mon, 12 December 2016 20:30 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Was this the type of Bolinder your boys found?

Previous Topic: Ray's Stories
Next Topic: Christmas is creeping up at a rate of knots
Goto Forum: