A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Love Existentially by John Teller
Love Existentially by John Teller  [message #74180] Mon, 19 March 2018 09:51 Go to next message
William King is currently offline  William King

Toe is in the water

What can I say, I would read this book but I already have.

I can only recommend it to you, because John tells a good story. Of course it has a proviso, don't read it if you would take offense reading about an adult/teenage sexual relationship.

I have never been a supporter of censorship and I think it commendable to publish this story here. Some people without doubt will scream paedophile, but I'm not sure that term applies? I think you need to read it and make up your own mind. Certainly it deals with a subject matter that poses lots of questions, but isn't that challenging?

http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/john-teller/love-existe ntially/00.html

[edited because I had to correct the url ~ timmy]

[Updated on: Mon, 19 March 2018 10:59] by Moderator

Re: Love Existentially by John Teller  [message #74181 is a reply to message #74180] Mon, 19 March 2018 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"William King wrote on Mon, 19 March 2018 09:51"

I can only recommend it to you, because John tells a good story. Of course it has a proviso, don't read it if you would take offense reading about an adult/teenage sexual relationship.

I have never been a supporter of censorship and I think it commendable to publish this story here. Some people without doubt will scream paedophile, but I'm not sure that term applies? I think you need to read it and make up your own mind. Certainly it deals with a subject matter that poses lots of questions, but isn't that challenging?

--

It is not censorship that keeps the great majority of even the good adult/youth tales from the site. Rather, it is the niche chosen for the site. John Teller and I have oft discussed which of his tales might be suitable here. This one first appeared in a somewhat different form, and that was most definitely 100% within our niche. I had to think long and hard about the additional material.

What I determined was that it is not a particularly sexual tale, though sex there is. Instead it is a journey and more than one romance.

It is also, as is usual with John, well researched, and written with pace and excellence of characterisation.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Love Existentially by John Teller  [message #74204 is a reply to message #74180] Tue, 27 March 2018 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Teller is currently offline  John Teller

Getting started

Hello Will and Tim,

Thanks for the heads up re. this story. You have both already read it but others may not. It was many years in the making and eventually ended up being an amalgamation of one long-standing story married within an entirely new concept. Or, as Will would describe it: A story of human relationships and synchronicity using zillions of cogs and springs.

I don't write to a pre-planned script. I could never do that. My MO of writing I call 'The man on the shoulder method'. He gets inside my head and the words and ideas flow of their own accord. This is one of two (perhaps three or four) stories from my large portfolio that I have really loved writing, and the reason for that is because I attach no particular labels to them other than 'LOVE and HUMAN RELATIONSHIPS'. In a gay way, of course.

In this particular story there is some intergenerational love, but the story is not about that particular subject even though I do enjoy exploring that genre in the search for the truth of things. Some people may not like that aspect of love. I respect that. We all set our own moral parameters and there are some topics that I wouldn't venture into either, mainly because not only am I not interested in them, but because they clash with my own moralistic outlook on what is acceptable or otherwise.

There are some that would say that intergenerational love is a load of codswallop, but then up pops M. Macron who, at the age of 15, fell in love with his forty year old wife to be, Brigette Trogneux, and voila... he has saved me a lot of debate. IT happens. Transpose that straight relationship to that of a gay one and we are up and running. And at that I will rest my case regarding intergenerational love. So like it or loath it; it exists. Therefore, as a writer I am entitled to explore that facet of humanity.

But Love Existentially really isn't about intergenerational love. If it was, then it would not be on this site. It would exist only 'over there' at the place that dare not speak its name and which begins with the letter N.

Very kindly, after much thought and correspondence I can assure you, Tim decided my story was worthy of a place here. So, if anyone does decide to read it then please do me the good grace of not forming an opinion until you have got your teeth into it. It has many facets and so many twists and turns that only the man on the shoulder could understand it at times. I think HE left me behind after part 2.

So, au revoir or adieu? 'Sup to you.

John.  
Re: Love Existentially by John Teller  [message #74205 is a reply to message #74204] Tue, 27 March 2018 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"John Teller wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 19:03"
But Love Existentially really isn't about intergenerational love. If it was, then it would not be on this site. 

--
Ah, not quite, my friend. We have three or four or more tales that involve those above and those below the age of consent. And each is here for its own reason. Each is worthy of its audience thugh I often wonder if the audience understands my reasoning when I step outside our niche and include them in my embrace Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 27 March 2018 19:28]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Love Existentially by John Teller  [message #74207 is a reply to message #74205] Tue, 27 March 2018 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Hah! Then so be it! In that case it will be alright for me, one day, to write a juicy tale that will have many of your readers disgusted with my presence. (Not really.) Anyway, I would much to prefer to write a 'Once upon a time' story about John Teller attending the same school as the owner and webmaster of this site and said author chasing him down the corridors because he was smitten with the dishy boy the webmaster once was. I would be in heat and my tongue hanging out, which I would put to good use once I'd ensnared him. I reckon all those boys he was crazy about should have had their teeth extracted without laughing gas because they were so blind to boy beauty. Smile

Jx. 
Re: Love Existentially by John Teller  [message #74208 is a reply to message #74207] Tue, 27 March 2018 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Flattery will get you everywhere!

The only person who expressed attraction to me was a rather tacky Latin teacher, who wanted me to be his "Call Boy" and explained that "Greek masters are traditionally enamoured of small boys with blond hair and blue eyes"  I wanted to vomit.

I came out in the old school newspaper and suggested I was happy to hear from those who had fancied me! Not a single reply! Obviously my school was rabidly heteronormative

[Updated on: Tue, 27 March 2018 23:31]

icon10.gif Re: Love Existentially by John Teller  [message #74308 is a reply to message #74204] Sun, 22 April 2018 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barking Mad is currently offline  Barking Mad

Getting started

Dear John

ROFLMAO  while the brat sniggers at me claiming quit stalking  the poor ole  Tart .
 BTW the boy's send their love to you .

I just happened to pop in here  to see whats new and noticed a well loved and often re-read tale .
Yes re-read several times as its such a well spun tale  and I caught  subtle  nuances upon  the 2 nd round as you are well aware from  not just my  emails but the Brat's we have enjoyed all you stories over the years .

One dose not chose the loves of our lives we only can choose  how we repay it and if its  allowed to proceed  to the physical .  as  recently as the 1920's  it was not uncommon for hetero marriages to have 10 or more years  in age difference. I have noted the divorce rate has increased as the gap shortened to the current  two or so years. Why should gay ones be much different .

I have a boy that  was very angry  with me  for many  years because I refused his advances.
As you are aware  and he says  he has wrote to you about it

Yes  parts of the tale are not with in the narrow  niche  set here  but sometimes a story  is so good  that  the niche  gets  a tiny bit warped. 

I personally wish to tank the ones running the asylum  here  for allowing  it to be seen by a wider audience .

And  thank you for your repeated kindness in the thoughtful replies to many an email  Shane say's do not forget your boy has a birthday next month . But you will  never match last years gift .

As always  take care of yourself and  stay well .

Bri has a new photo he attaches to everything  thought you might like it.
 http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=4382&private=0
  • Attachment: nuts.jpg
    (Size: 65.15KB, Downloaded 902 times)
Re: Love Existentially by John Teller  [message #74311 is a reply to message #74308] Mon, 23 April 2018 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Hi 'Barking Madman',

That alias is eminently suitable for you. I hope you're getting over your stroke and will soon be able to use a finger and not your nose to write. LOL. Your writing has never been one of your strongest assets, but you more than make up for it with the other things you've done in your life. Very few could match your exploits in the military and very few could even come close to the love and care you have given to the less fortunate young people in the world. Even though he's still angry that you refused his advances as a youngster, there's a reason why Our Boy C loves you. And a few more like him in this world who needed love and understanding rather than ridicule because they were 'different'. So, you gay old fart, you get better and give my love to C and and a special platonic hug to little Brian when they travel down from Vegas to see you

So you're moseying around in these here parts, internet-wise, while you're recuperating in the Boondocks, and have found me here. Well what do you think of the fine job Tim has done with my tale? (I did say tale and not 'tail'.) I'm amazed myself at the wonderful job he's done with presentation and formatting. I love what he's done. I never, ever, read my own stories after they're published, but Tim has done such a good job that I find myself reading each part he puts online as if it's a story written by someone else. It's taken on a new lease of life and I look forward to re-reading each part. Because I've forgotten the exact sequence of events in the story, I'm wondering what happens next. LOL.

Chat on here about the story but mail me regarding personal events.

Tell Brian I love his squirrel. Heh heh.

Love from John.
Re: Love Existentially by John Teller  [message #74312 is a reply to message #74311] Mon, 23 April 2018 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"John Teller wrote on Mon, 23 April 2018 02:54"

So you're moseying around in these here parts, internet-wise, while you're recuperating in the Boondocks, and have found me here. Well what do you think of the fine job Tim has done with my tale? (I did say tale and not 'tail'.) I'm amazed myself at the wonderful job he's done with presentation and formatting. I love what he's done. I never, ever, read my own stories after they're published, but Tim has done such a good job that I find myself reading each part he puts online as if it's a story written by someone else. It's taken on a new lease of life and I look forward to re-reading each part. Because I've forgotten the exact sequence of events in the story, I'm wondering what happens next. LOL.

--

The formatting is just a simple step up from the way you offered it to me. On Nifty your tale is formatedwithin the limits of embedded formatting. Here I can use external style sheets, and also have a few small extra tricks to make, for example, letters stand out. Otherwise I just aim for a restful font and background colour Smile

Re-reading one's own work is an interesting experinece. When I read my own I wonder who wrote it!

Re: Love Existentially by John Teller  [message #74316 is a reply to message #74312] Tue, 24 April 2018 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Quote:
timmy wrote on Mon, 23 April 2018 10:35
"John Teller wrote on Mon, 23 April 2018 02:54"

--

The formatting is just a simple step up from the way you offered it to me. On Nifty your tale is formatedwithin the limits of embedded formatting. Here I can use external style sheets, and also have a few small extra tricks to make, for example, letters stand out. Otherwise I just aim for a restful font and background colour Smile

Re-reading one's own work is an interesting experinece. When I read my own I wonder who wrote it!

LOL. That's where I am now.
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/shocked-boy-4190315.jpg

--
Re: Love Existentially by John Teller  [message #74327 is a reply to message #74311] Thu, 26 April 2018 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barking Mad is currently offline  Barking Mad

Getting started

"John Teller wrote on Sun, 22 April 2018 21:54"
Hi 'Barking Madman',

That alias is eminently suitable for you. I hope you're getting over your stroke and will soon be able to use a finger and not your nose to write. LOL. Your writing has never been one of your strongest assets, but you more than make up for it with the other things you've done in your life. Very few could match your exploits in the military and very few could even come close to the love and care you have given to the less fortunate young people in the world. Even though he's still angry that you refused his advances as a youngster, there's a reason why Our Boy C loves you. And a few more like him in this world who needed love and understanding rather than ridicule because they were 'different'. So, you gay old fart, you get better and give my love to C and and a special platonic hug to little Brian when they travel down from Vegas to see you

Chat on here about the story but mail me regarding personal events.

Tell Brian I love his squirrel. Heh heh.

Love from John.

--

Here's to the EVIL ones that insist on perfection in a non perfect world .

I prefer it   warts an all.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd449/alcluin/18babfce477763d646952b5432179cef.jpeg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd449/alcluin/12193858_887823051296052_3789594758063102035_n.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 26 April 2018 08:35]

Re: Love Existentially by John Teller  [message #74496 is a reply to message #74180] Wed, 27 June 2018 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"William King wrote on Mon, 19 March 2018 09:51"

--

And now the tale is run. I am interested in the thoughts of those who have followed it to the end.

Re: Love Existentially by John Teller  [message #74499 is a reply to message #74496] Thu, 28 June 2018 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Thank you Tim for publishing the story on your site. You did a fantastic job with the presentation and although I've been extremely busy with other things in my life, I've managed to come out of semi-retirement and find the time to re-read it. Having done so, here's my thoughts on my own story.

L-E is not an easy read. Individual character speak can be frustrating and baffling at times, especially when there are so many characters portrayed. If I was A.N.Other, I would have to read the story two or three times to really appreciate it. That's assuming I was interested in the story in the first place. It will not be everyone's cup of tea.

Although the story seems to be a fantasy, as a matter of fact it's a miasma of real events, and many of those parts that are not real in the story are analogous of other realities I've experienced in my life.

When it was first published on Nifty I really enjoyed the feedback. However, I had to be very firm with one reader who demanded I retract the part when Michael came unstuck big style. Apparently he'd fallen in love with Michael and was furious at what had happened to him. I had to treat him gently (the reader) and explain that without that event, there was no more story. He apologised... but I never heard from him again. Smile

Because of privacy I cannot reveal any feedback I've had since your publication, but I have received some quality stuff, especially from one reader who has seen many things in the story that echo events in his own life. That doesn't surprise me. I try to write abour realities and not fantasy.

And now I'll go back to my busy real life and try to finish Book 3 of Pie Jesu when I can steal some time. That story, I think, may be my Swan Song as a writer in this genre. I'm getting too old for this lark. LOL.

Jx.
Re: Love Existentially by John Teller  [message #74506 is a reply to message #74499] Fri, 29 June 2018 18:40 Go to previous message
William King is currently offline  William King

Toe is in the water

"And now I'll go back to my busy real life and try to finish Book 3 of Pie Jesu when I can steal some time."

That's nice to hear, seeing as that is the story I started reading until you dropped it for LE. What I liked about Pie Jesu was the esoteric element, something that gave that story another dimension, not found in LE. Even if there are undeniable similarities, Pie Jesu goes off into another realm. Book three I hope will take us to a beautiful conclusion. If it's your last novel that will be a loss to online gay publishing, but I appreciate that no one is getting younger.
Previous Topic: Rick Beck's - Discoverying Gregorgy
Next Topic: Passing it On, by Ivor Slipper
Goto Forum: