A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Please be patient with service outages
Please be patient with service outages  [message #74643] Wed, 01 August 2018 23:25 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We have been conducting an audit and upgrade of some essential web server functions today. There has been some unavoidable and unanticipated downtime, and some services behind the scenes are not yet running. We have given priority to public facing services. Our server is much more complex than folk realise. Serene on the surface, like a swan is what we are.

This may affect our ability to publish stories on Friday. That element is not yet back online.

Or, of course, it may not affect Friday at all, but I wanted you to be aware in advance.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Please be patient with service outages  [message #74649 is a reply to message #74643] Thu, 02 August 2018 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We are very much enjoying the back office services upgrade. It has thrown a few areas into disarray, though. Despite our best work and head scratching, plus several packets of crisps, and walks to get ice cream, we are tired, now, and are unlikey to do more today.

We have found some core topics require replacement, whcih is a pain in the fundament, but none of this affects your enjoyment of what is published currently.

What it does affect is our story queue. We can neither add to it nor publish from it right now, and we also cannot send out a newsletter by email to let folk know.

Shit happens.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Please be patient with service outages  [message #74653 is a reply to message #74649] Fri, 03 August 2018 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ivor slipper is currently offline  ivor slipper

Likes it here

Thanks for keeping us in the picture.

Have you tried Imodium? :p
Re: Please be patient with service outages  [message #74654 is a reply to message #74653] Fri, 03 August 2018 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Unfortunately we need a transplant. The bowels of the site work perfectly.  It requires some detailed work and will take several days. Some major updates were essential to maintain server integrity and security, but there were some interdependencies that had not been in the minds of the original service creators that are raising the crisps and ice cream intake.

Even Megaman and I sitting here on the same sofa are currently scratching our heads before goingh out for the day and doing something else!

Re: Please be patient with service outages  [message #74656 is a reply to message #74654] Fri, 03 August 2018 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We have discovered that the mailing list suite we use is unfixable (0.9 probability) after spending significant time trying to determine the reason, which is hiding from us. This suite is an integral part of our ability to announce new stories. The next few days will have time devoted to the acquisition of a new one, followed by integration into the story delivery system. I do not anticipate this to be a particularly speedy process.

Re: Please be patient with service outages  [message #74662 is a reply to message #74656] Mon, 06 August 2018 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Bulk email is now returned, so we can announce what is going on. The Story Management side is not yet fixed, so new stories are still on hold

Re: Please be patient with service outages  [message #74672 is a reply to message #74662] Thu, 09 August 2018 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

While it may not look as if anything is happening, behind the scenes we have progressed to solve all except one major issue and a few minor ones. We have a way to go yet

Re: Please be patient with service outages  [message #74674 is a reply to message #74672] Fri, 10 August 2018 13:59 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

We are now back online

Previous Topic: Gone weekend gone
Next Topic: SSL and knee jerk reactions
Goto Forum: