A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > 1% of kids aged 9-10 self-identify as gay, transgender
1% of kids aged 9-10 self-identify as gay, transgender  [message #74861] Thu, 13 September 2018 09:29 Go to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

"In a study into the sexual orientation and gender identity development of thousands of youth across the nation, a San Diego State University team found that about 1 percent of 9 and 10-year old children surveyed self-identified as gay, bisexual or transgender. As the majority of studies indicate that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) self-identification generally occurs during the mid-adolescent years, the study by SDSU researchers Jerel P. Calzo and Aaron J. Blashill is providing unprecedented insight into early identity development."This is such an important stage, biologically and socially. At 9 and 10, youth--whether through their peers, media or parents--are beginning to be exposed to more information about relationships and interacting in the world. Even about sex," said lead author Calzo, an associate professor in the SDSU School of Public Health. "They may not see any of this as sexual, but they are beginning to experience strong feelings." "

article continues at https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-09-percent-children-aged -self-identify.html

If I'd had the word "gay", and the support and social acceptability that we have (in some parts of the world), I would certainly have identified as gay by the age of 9. As it was, it took me until my early 20s (nearly 40 years ago!) to claim "out gay man" as a primary social identity.

(h/t to milkboys.net for making me aware of this research)

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: 1% of kids aged 9-10 self-identify as gay, transgender  [message #74878 is a reply to message #74861] Sat, 15 September 2018 15:48 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I can't tell whether I would have come out earlier than I did (48!) because I lived in a threatening home environment, but I know I would have been less afraid if there had been enough others around me. I've often wondered if I might have met a boy who would love me in that environment.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: These forums are protected
Next Topic: The boy on the boat made me think of this
Goto Forum: