A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Looking for reading suggestions
Looking for reading suggestions  [message #75048] Sun, 28 October 2018 16:34 Go to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

So many stories to choose from...it's difficult to pick one! I was hoping some other members could point me towards some good stories to read. So far I have read all of the "Empty Shoes" challenge stories plus As They Say, Z Is For Zombie, and The Life Of Matt Summers. I'm just about to start reading Two Boys On A Train. Thanks!
Re: Looking for reading suggestions  [message #75049 is a reply to message #75048] Sun, 28 October 2018 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"luvtwinks wrote on Sun, 28 October 2018 16:34"
So many stories to choose from...it's difficult to pick one! I was hoping some other members could point me towards some good stories to read. So far I have read all of the "Empty Shoes" challenge stories plus As They Say, Z Is For Zombie, and The Life Of Matt Summers. I'm just about to start reading Two Boys On A Train. Thanks!

--
This is a hard one to answer. I have read every tale on the site, because that is what I do in order to see if they fit here. A way of making a decision is to go to the entire log since 1 January 2002 of what is on the site and browse.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Looking for reading suggestions  [message #75052 is a reply to message #75049] Sun, 28 October 2018 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Indeed.May as well start at the beginning and see what I find!
Re: Looking for reading suggestions  [message #75058 is a reply to message #75052] Sun, 28 October 2018 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cm is currently offline  cm

Toe is in the water

The writing challenges are a good place to start. They give you several reasonably brief stories by a selection of authors. If you find you particularly enjoy an author's work, you could try others by the same author via the 'Story shelf' option.
Re: Looking for reading suggestions  [message #75059 is a reply to message #75048] Mon, 29 October 2018 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
William King is currently offline  William King

Toe is in the water

I just finished reading this book http://awesomedude.com/freethinker/dance/index.htm Dance of the Wicked Boys. It's a story that would definitely fit on this site, but I found it by recommendation on AwesomeDude. It is well written, good storyline, great characters. It's a little different to perhaps your usual background themes, because it is about ballet dancers. Not a big book, there is a sequel, which I am about to start. So it's my 'book of the month', take a look, the lead characters are two very engaging teenagers. If you do read it, come back and let us know what you thought.
Re: Looking for reading suggestions  [message #75060 is a reply to message #75059] Mon, 29 October 2018 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It's a cracking story. The first chapter leaves you in no dount that you absolutely have to read to the end.

As you know, I d not go poaching, but this tale woudl assureldy fit here.  

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Looking for reading suggestions  [message #75068 is a reply to message #75059] Wed, 31 October 2018 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"William King wrote on Mon, 29 October 2018 07:39"
I just finished reading this book http://awesomedude.com/freethinker/dance/index.htm Dance of the Wicked Boys. It's a story that would definitely fit on this site, but I found it by recommendation on AwesomeDude. It is well written, good storyline, great characters. It's a little different to perhaps your usual background themes, because it is about ballet dancers. Not a big book, there is a sequel, which I am about to start. So it's my 'book of the month', take a look, the lead characters are two very engaging teenagers. If you do read it, come back and let us know what you thought.

--
I enjoyed this story very much.Thanks for bringing it to my attention. 😀
Re: Looking for reading suggestions  [message #75079 is a reply to message #75059] Sat, 03 November 2018 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"William King wrote on Mon, 29 October 2018 07:39"
Not a big book, there is a sequel, which I am about to start.

--
I've read the sequel and I liked it more than the first part. Highly recommended!
Re: Looking for reading suggestions  [message #75151 is a reply to message #75048] Tue, 13 November 2018 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

Wow, what a story! I think there are enough loose ends and partially-developed characters for a third book.

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Re: Looking for reading suggestions  [message #75644 is a reply to message #75151] Thu, 21 March 2019 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

I've found a lot of good gay and gay-coming-of-age stories on Kindle for less than $5 a title, which is about the same as I'd usually pay for a book at my local used book store. Here are a few I've read recently:

Cupid Painted Blind: A current gay coming-of-age story dealing with things like being outed on twitter, falling for the wrong guy, nearly losing your virginity while drunk, finding and losing a boyfriend, and finding that nobody is surprised when you come out. It's funny, confusing, and interesting. Excellent read.

A Surplus of Light: Quirky story about a boy falling for another boy who comes with baggage. They meet, click, but only during the summer. Set in the past (maybe the 70's?), capturing a time when being gay wasn't something to be public about, and finding his true sexuality, and love.

Fourteen Summers: Two identical twins, one gay, one straight, home from college during the summer, are re-acqainted with their best friend from childhood, returned to their town after 10 years. He was a friend to one boy, but his first crush to the other. Excellent read.

The Story of Us: Wow, this book has a lot, and is a long read. Two boys, each neglected in different ways, one of Persian ancestry, the other born into the peerage. Every time they try to be together they are separated, and they wait for each other. Add into it problems with the law and internationa terrorism, this book get very dark more than once. Drama and intrigue along with love and commitment, as well as a lot of very heavy sex. Both boys reach adulthood and eventual happiness, but not before more trials and tribulations than any couple should ever have to endure. This book is beyond just excellent, this will become a classic!

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Re: Looking for reading suggestions  [message #75645 is a reply to message #75644] Thu, 21 March 2019 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I know of at least two writers on this site who are female. One is young, the other 70+  Both are heterosexual. I have no intention of revealing who they are.

Before this site started "The Devil Herself" was a great gay eroitca writer. She was a 14 year old girl. She liked boys, and decided she could have more in her stories if they were gay.

Nifty has a large number of female writers of gay erotica.  

It's not just boys who know their way around boys

[Updated on: Fri, 22 March 2019 09:59]

Re: Looking for reading suggestions  [message #75648 is a reply to message #75645] Fri, 22 March 2019 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

One of my Beta readers is female and has some very good gay themed stories posted elsewhere on the web.

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Looking for reading suggestions  [message #75649 is a reply to message #75648] Fri, 22 March 2019 03:49 Go to previous message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Well, we've already discussed the excellent stories on this site, which was the first gay youth genre story site I ever read from. There are enough stories to keep a person in reading material for a very long time.

Outside of here, there is an excellent collection of loosely fitting or sometimes tightly knit stories by various authors, some of whom are hosted here that's titled "Sanitaria Springs"

The Sanitaria Springs tales can be found here. http://www.dabeagle.com/Sanitaria_Springs.html They are listed with title and icons and are in chronological order from left to right across the page.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 March 2019 03:50]

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Previous Topic: Volunteer Beta reader?
Next Topic: Not Gay
Goto Forum: