A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Operation Christmas Child / Samaritans Purse
Operation Christmas Child / Samaritans Purse  [message #75209] Wed, 21 November 2018 18:33 Go to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Yet again, "Operation Christmas Child" is doing it's "shoebox" thing herein Worcester and throughout the UK. Allegedly a charity to give gifts to underprivileged kids, it is fact a fundamentalist evangelical organisation using gifts as a cover for proselytising. I consider it despicable for the way it cons schoolkids - especially Prinary School kids - into giving without making it clear what they're contributing to.

The are very many other worthwhile charities, which are well worth supporting all year round, not just at Christmas. Personally, I'll be upping what I donate to our local food-bank for Christmas, but there are many many other worthwhile ways of supporting needy kids.

For a bit about the background, and suggestions for other causes to support, https://humanism.org.uk/humanism/humanism-today/humanists-do ing/good-causes-and-charities/samaritans-purse/

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Operation Christmas Child / Samaritans Purse  [message #75212 is a reply to message #75209] Thu, 22 November 2018 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

At least one evangelical christianist won a Darwin Award the other day.  Good for the Sentinel Island tribe. They know what they did not want

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Operation Christmas Child / Samaritans Purse  [message #75214 is a reply to message #75212] Fri, 23 November 2018 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Sadly, I fear that I'm not allowed to do the same thing to Jehovah's Witnesses and others who ring my doorbell and attempt to harangue me.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Operation Christmas Child / Samaritans Purse  [message #75215 is a reply to message #75214] Fri, 23 November 2018 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

In that situation I find three things to be helpful. The first is my education, which drummed religion into me. I can out-argue most of them using their handbook.

The second is this picture:

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=4940&private=0

The third is Russel's Teapot

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=4941&private=0

They tend to get upset and go away when I offer to get them a cup of bleach

[Updated on: Fri, 23 November 2018 12:18]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Operation Christmas Child / Samaritans Purse  [message #75527 is a reply to message #75209] Fri, 15 February 2019 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ashdaw is currently offline  Ashdaw

Toe is in the water

Interesting from a strange POV.
Re: Operation Christmas Child / Samaritans Purse  [message #75528 is a reply to message #75527] Fri, 15 February 2019 05:22 Go to previous message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Samaritan's Purse is a reprehensible organization for so many reasons that the mind boggles. The least of which is that Franklin Graham is an evangelical lover who is sleeping in the same bed with the US president, aka "the donald." He and his cohort bloviators, scammers, and other slimy religious leaders, are hoping that through the donald they will be able to establish Christianity as the official, state sponsored religion here in the US. 

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Previous Topic: Much as I hate the term...
Next Topic: Is this a real milestone?
Goto Forum: