A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Christmas 2018
Christmas 2018  [message #75242] Tue, 27 November 2018 14:46 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Publication date is 17 December this year

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Christmas 2018  [message #75255 is a reply to message #75242] Sat, 01 December 2018 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

Timmy,

I'd just like to say that when I read your note in the "New Stories" announcement over the mailing list (about having the Christmas stories being posted on the 17th instead of the 24th) that I think it's a good idea.  I'm working on a story submission myself (though oufcourse now I'm going to have to hurry up a bit and get it done sooner than I'd originally planned) and was actually thinking of e-mailing you with the suggestion of posting hoiday stories (for all holiday stories, not just Christmas) a few days before the holiday, instead of the day of or the day before.  I know that while I'd love to be able to read the story submissions, I'm busy and so I'm not always in a position to do that before the holiday passes when they're posted that close to it (and reading them right afterwards kind of...doesn't have the same effect as being able to read them right before, if that makes any sense).
Re: Christmas 2018  [message #75256 is a reply to message #75255] Sat, 01 December 2018 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Geron made the request this year, and I gave it some thought. I hope what happens is that the tales will get better readership figures.

[Updated on: Sat, 01 December 2018 16:47]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Christmas 2018  [message #75259 is a reply to message #75256] Sun, 02 December 2018 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

It just goes to show great minds think alike!

On a bit more of a serious note, I think it does say something when two of us come up with a similar overall idea independently of each other.  I, for one, have certainly enjoyed reading a lot of the holiday-themed stories posted here over the years (and I'm sure many of us here have), but I've found that it makes it a lot more enjoyable when I can read those stories during that particular holiday season (Halloween stories during the Halloween season, etc.), since it helps for me to be "in the mood" when the season isn't over yet when I'm reading the story.  If I'm only given a day or two for the season for the submissions, I don't always have a chance to get to them, or feel rushed if I do (even reading them a day or two afterward the holiday passes just doesn't feel the same, and I certainly don't want to have to wait another 11 months or so for the season to roll around again), and I suspect that Geron and I are not the only ones who feel that way.  Moving the publishing date back a few more days will hopefully help with this.  Hopefully you'll consider making this a permanent adjustment for all holiday-themed stories (it doesn't have to be a huge amount of time, since, as an author, I totally understand that being "in the mood" can also help with the writing just as much as the reading).

[Updated on: Sun, 02 December 2018 10:13]

Re: Christmas 2018  [message #75262 is a reply to message #75259] Sun, 02 December 2018 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ivor slipper is currently offline  ivor slipper

Likes it here

While it seems like a good idea to release the Christmas stories on Christmas Eve, I suspect that a large percentage of readers have other things to do on that day - and indeed the next. Thus I share the view that releasing them a few days earlier is likely to increase reader numbers. But, only Timmy can tell us if that is indeed the case. 
Re: Christmas 2018  [message #75263 is a reply to message #75262] Sun, 02 December 2018 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The stats show very little difference. But it works for author comfort to bring the date forward.  Who knew authors wanted more pressure?

Re: Christmas 2018  [message #75303 is a reply to message #75263] Wed, 19 December 2018 00:28 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

What do you think of our Christmas 2018 tales?

Don't forget to link to them if you discuss them.

Oh, please do discuss them!

Previous Topic: The Bully and the Bullied
Next Topic: The Best Christmas by Victor Thomas
Goto Forum: