A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Christmas 2018 - Lake Effect by Merkin.
icon14.gif Christmas 2018 - Lake Effect by Merkin.  [message #75306] Wed, 19 December 2018 16:48 Go to next message
William King is currently offline  William King

Toe is in the water

Lake Effect by Merkin

What a name for a town, Sanitaria, sounds like somewhere people get committed too! It made me chuckle to read, "...men and boys alike pitch in to dig out the widows and the infirm,..." I pictured poor old ladies and the less than healthy residents of the Sanitarium being buried beneath huge snow drifts. It is immediately obvious that our fourteen year old hero is a nerd, or at least a bookworm, definitely hugely influenced by his grandfather. 

This is most definitely a comedy of manners played to a tea by young master Maurice although, bless me, but I never in this world imagined such a polished performance by one of such tender years. He certainly had the measure of Ray's father and knew how to flatter the ladies -indeed.

I definitely think the author takes a wicked delight in manipulating events, which he laughs his way through with the same inimitable comedy as Maurice, both boys seem to rather encapsulate our lovely author's sense of humour and erudite predisposition. For that reason alone, you have to read this. Apart from which, it's quite delightful, with beautifully crafted twists and turns.

http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/merkin/shorts/lake-effe ct.html

[Updated on: Wed, 19 December 2018 16:52]

Re: Christmas 2018 - Lake Effect by Merkin.  [message #75397 is a reply to message #75306] Mon, 14 January 2019 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

The town of Sanitaria Springs, New York, USA, really does exist, although the fictional town is often quite a bit bigger (in a good way) than the real town.  Sanitaria Springs was originally named Osborne Hollow, and the name was changed to Sanitaria Springs at some time in the past.

There are at least 108 fictional stories relating to Sanitaria Springs.  The writing about the fictional Sanitaria Springs was started by author Dabeagle, and he still does much of it, though the late Ryan Bartlett has done several stories, as well as Cynus (Samuel D. Roe), Israfil, Ivor Slipper, Pedro, and a few others.  All of the stories may be found on Dabeagle's website.  If permitted by Timmy, I would be happy to give the link to the Sanitaria Springs stories.
Re: Christmas 2018 - Lake Effect by Merkin.  [message #75400 is a reply to message #75397] Tue, 15 January 2019 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Links to good things never need my permission, my friend, but I thank you for asking me.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Christmas 2018 - Lake Effect by Merkin.  [message #75411 is a reply to message #75400] Thu, 17 January 2019 08:28 Go to previous message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

The full set of Sanitaria Springs stories can be found here:    http://dabeagle.com/Sanitaria_Springs.html

The stories in chronological order start at the top of the page, with each row proceeding from left to right.  Various stories by various authors are featured.  Should you wish to email any of the authors, keep in mind that Ryan Bartlett is deceased as of August 2015, and author JohnInLex is also deceased.  Dabeagle has written more stories than any other one author, with the late Ryan Bartlett and Samuel D. Roe (Cynus) also having several stories, Israfil authoring or co-authoring several, Pedro has at least three, James Merkin has two, Ivor Slipper has one, Cole Parker has one, Colin Kelly has one, LugNutz has one, and who knows who else will show up in the future?  

Lake Effect, by Merkin, is a good story.  I like his other Sanitaria Springs story, Ripple Effect, even better.  However, it skews too old for this site, I think.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 January 2019 08:34]

Previous Topic: Please help me rediscover a story
Next Topic: sea-people - Ruwen Rouhs
Goto Forum: