A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Recovery Challenge
Recovery Challenge  [message #75371] Fri, 04 January 2019 14:06 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We went live today with ten stories.  Three were published previously. Why not visit the page and let us know what oyui think of all the entries?

I am impressed with the different interpretations

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Recovery Challenge  [message #75372 is a reply to message #75371] Fri, 04 January 2019 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Fridays seem to be a good time to launch the challenge tales.  So far there is a decent volume of polling, and I think and hope that wuill increase as the weekend starts across the world.

There is a lot of reading. And this is the first time we have had stories that have been published previously entered into a challenge. I'm wondering how they will do.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
The Messenger of All Things  [message #75373 is a reply to message #75371] Fri, 04 January 2019 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Of all the ten tales, The Messenger of All Things feels to me to be different in a great degree from the others. It's hard not to create a spoiler, which would be grossly unfair.

For me the tale has captured the essence of the challenge, as have the others, except it has been handled in a wholly intriguing and metaphysical manner.

Making Love  [message #75374 is a reply to message #75372] Sat, 05 January 2019 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It never ceases to amaze me when I come up with these challenges how folk will interpret them. As I've said befofre, everyone captured the spirit. It is the dark places that are so different. Making Love, for me, went to a place I never expected, and, as the reason became apparent (no spoilers again) it was no less dark.

Re: Recovery Challenge  [message #75375 is a reply to message #75371] Sat, 05 January 2019 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pkew is currently offline  Pkew

Getting started

Im going to be upset if there isn't a 2nd chapter after that cliffhanger last line in "A storm named Zach" . 
Re: Recovery Challenge  [message #75376 is a reply to message #75375] Sat, 05 January 2019 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Pkew wrote on Sat, 05 January 2019 10:42"
Im going to be upset if there isn't a 2nd chapter after that cliffhanger last line in "A storm named Zach" . 

--
It is promised for the next challege. It may come before that and be entered retrospectively.

Re: Recovery Challenge  [message #75377 is a reply to message #75375] Sun, 06 January 2019 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

"Pkew wrote on Sat, 05 January 2019 02:42"

Yeah, that one brought me up short too! 😯

It leaves something to look forward to though, yes? 
Re: Making Love  [message #75378 is a reply to message #75374] Sun, 06 January 2019 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

"timmy wrote on Fri, 04 January 2019 16:29"
Making Love, for me, went to a place I never expected, and, as the reason became apparent (no spoilers again) it was no less dark.

Yes, that one took a completely unexpected turn for me as well, and I was the author! It started out as a flash fiction piece I did for a friend when I was trying to describe a 15 second encounter I'd had with someone while visiting San Francisco. I don't know about other writers but often the protagonists of my stories seem to take over the telling of the tales, taking them places I'd not intended for them to go. That was the case here. The finished story is nothing like what actually happened. Nothing like it at all.

[Updated on: Sun, 06 January 2019 22:15]

Re: The Messenger of All Things  [message #75383 is a reply to message #75373] Sun, 06 January 2019 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

"timmy wrote on Fri, 04 January 2019 15:27"
Of all the ten tales, The Messenger of All Things feels to me to be different in a great degree from the others. It's hard not to create a spoiler, which would be grossly unfair.

For me the tale has captured the essence of the challenge, as have the others, except it has been handled in a wholly intriguing and metaphysical manner.

--Agreed. Well written tale. Riveting.
who will start named threads on the others  [message #75385 is a reply to message #75371] Sun, 06 January 2019 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Each take merits a sub-thread. I can't start them all, and I most assuredly can't start ones mn the two I submitted myself!

[Updated on: Sun, 06 January 2019 23:53]

The Lottery of Ears and Necks  [message #75387 is a reply to message #75371] Mon, 07 January 2019 02:53 Go to previous message

Really getting into it

This is a story where I can identify with one of the characters. Without inserting spoilers, it is a topic with which I have experience, and maybe that is why the story has impacted me as it has. The subject is well presented and the darkness and recovery well addressed. The story is definitely worth reading, and perhaps more importantly, reflecting upon.

[Updated on: Mon, 07 January 2019 05:23]

Previous Topic: "Locker" Writing Challenge
Next Topic: Evan Carlton
Goto Forum: