A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Please help me rediscover a story
Please help me rediscover a story  [message #75401] Tue, 15 January 2019 15:29 Go to next message
malx is currently offline  malx

Getting started

Hello,I'm old and forgetful. I very much enjoy all the gay story sites on the web and especially this one. About once every six months I usually come across an old story (usually a very long one) that I've read before and enjoy re-reading it.There are two that I would love to read again but have lost track of. (Can't even remember their titles or authors . . . . or which site!) They are described below.  If you can recognise either or both and point me in the right direction I will be most grateful.
1st forgotten story:Main character is a guy known as "Coach".  He teaches in a US High School (possibly History) and has his arm twisted to be coach to the soccer team.
He lives in a farm outside the small town and gradually fosters and/or adopts boys who are homeless or unloved because they are gay.
The soccer team begins to thrive under his leadership and the boys often head out to his farm to have barbecues and skinny-dip in his pool.
Coach had inherited a small fortune when his father had died. His one, much-older brother died soon after and Coach took in his teenage nephew.

All the boys were known as "Coach's Cubs".
Another prominent character is Donnie Michaud (sp?) who is a mechanic at the local garage. Donnie has two small boys and Coach helps him financially and takes the three of them in when Donnie's wife disappears.
There's another, more recent, linked story to this one when most of the boys have been to Uni  . . .Coach's nephew comes back to the area for some reason and begins teaching in the same school. Then a local guy who is a Forest/wildlife Ranger gets his teenage son sent to him from his estranged wife who has just discovered that her son is gay. Father and son end up living with Coach's nephew as their cottage gets burnt down.2nd forgotten story:Young man in his late teens or early twenties . . . well brought-up but has become almost penniless and has contemplated suicide.
Out of the blue he gets a letter from a firm of solicitors.
The name of the solicitors is something like "Winterbottom, Winterbottom and Winterbottom"  ( it's not Winterbottom but it's three names and all are the same).
He is asked in the letter to turn up for an appointment and it is with the SENIOR "Mr Winterbottom" that he has to deal.
He has been left money and a huge house in his Great-Uncle's will. 
He had been vaguely aware that the Great Uncle had existed but had no idea that the man had followed his progress through life and knew how to get in touch with him. I think it was because both were gay.
Re: Please help me rediscover a story  [message #75402 is a reply to message #75401] Tue, 15 January 2019 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Try Finding Family. I searched for "Coach's Cubs" with quote markes, and it appeared in the results list. A bit more brought me here, to cvrboy's site

[Updated on: Tue, 15 January 2019 15:40]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Please help me rediscover a story  [message #75403 is a reply to message #75402] Tue, 15 January 2019 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ivor slipper is currently offline  ivor slipper

Likes it here

"timmy wrote on Tue, 15 January 2019 15:38"
Try Finding Family. I searched for "Coach's Cubs" with quote markes, and it appeared in the results list. A bit more brought me here, to cvrboy's site

--
Be interested to know if this is the story Malx was seeking. I've looked at a few chapters of it and am petty sure it isn't the one that came to my mind on reading the question.  Trouble is, I don't know the title or author of that :)
Re: Please help me rediscover a story  [message #75406 is a reply to message #75402] Wed, 16 January 2019 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
malx is currently offline  malx

Getting started

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
"Finding Family" is indeed the story I was looking for and the linked one I talked about is "Three Voices".
I had forgotten that there is another linked story - about the characters that coach's cubs come across while they're at Uni . . . . and that is "When love comes".
They're all great imho and I'm obviously a fan of Jeff Allen.
I'm going to start keeping keeping a file of author's names and favourites.

Re: Please help me rediscover a story  [message #75407 is a reply to message #75406] Wed, 16 January 2019 08:35 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

It's just finding comething unique to search for that helps.  "Coach's Cubs" was that lucky break

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: The Lottery of Ears and Necks, by It's Only Me Across the Sea
Next Topic: Christmas 2018 - Lake Effect by Merkin.
Goto Forum: