A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > The tales of Joel Young
The tales of Joel Young  [message #75452] Sun, 27 January 2019 09:38 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Some time ago I published The Messenger. The other day Joel Young sent me My Freshman Experience. You have not yet seen that. It starts after My Debate Partner concludes. Until he sent me MFE I had no idea that MDP existed. I'd spotted TM and it struck a chord with me because I have a love of theatre, spending my student years backstage instead of passing my degree.

We are catching up, now.  MDP concludes on Monday, tomorrow. When it concludes MFE starts. I recommend you catch up by reading TM on the way.

When I finished MFE I asked Joel about some obvious non sequiturs. I thought the series had concluded, but no! He has part four swirling in his brain right now. I hope it swirls to the keyboard, because he has introduced me to a world I never knew existed, the world of competitive debating. And his characters are strong, unusual.

MDP is a short story. Each of the 15 chapters is brief, whcuih is why I am releasing it five chapters at a time.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The tales of Joel Young  [message #75464 is a reply to message #75452] Thu, 31 January 2019 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

Thank you for bringing these stories by Joel to our attention. VERY well written and enjoyable to read.
Re: The tales of Joel Young  [message #75668 is a reply to message #75464] Sat, 30 March 2019 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

Just finished the trilogy. I feel incomplete though. Need details between Joel's freshman year and being reunited with David years later. Some info was touched upon. Perhaps I should re-read a passage from one particular story.
Re: The tales of Joel Young  [message #75669 is a reply to message #75668] Sat, 30 March 2019 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I did, too. I asked Joel about it, and there may be an infill on ots way. Or there may not. It depends, i think, on how the inspiration strikes him.

I know it works the way it is, and yet it leaves us wanting more. BUt the old adage is to leave 'em wanting more....

[Updated on: Sat, 30 March 2019 22:33]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The tales of Joel Young  [message #75705 is a reply to message #75669] Mon, 22 April 2019 01:19 Go to previous message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

I had previously read My Debate Partner and The Messenger quite some time back, probably elsewhere but had never read My Freshman Experience and have yet to finish it. One thing to bear in mind when reading TM and MFE is something that will (probably?) be missed if one doesn't read MDP first is that inspite of how it might seems, there ARE happy endings (probably?). 😉

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Previous Topic: 2019 Queue Status
Next Topic: My Night Out
Goto Forum: