A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Are You Scared yet?
 () 1 Vote
Are You Scared yet?  [message #75557] Tue, 19 February 2019 08:45 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I had an enquiry today:
Quote:
Hello,
I have been reading stories from your site for many years and I am trying to locate a specific one, and I believe it was on your site. I cannot for the life of me remember the title or the author. But I do remember it is a coming of age story about two boys in the Bible Belt of the US, and that they drive a pickup without permission and drive by a police/sherif car on the highway that has a dummy/mannequin in the drivers seat. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks in advance

I put 'mannequin' into the site search box.  Several tales arrived, but the right one is Are You Scared Yet, by J J Janicki. Amazing how many stories copntain the word, though.

The writing style is batshit crazy, and JJJ's tales just work.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Are You Scared yet?  [message #75559 is a reply to message #75557] Wed, 20 February 2019 04:52 Go to previous message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Now this was a crazy tale if ever there was one. North Dakota can hardly be considered the US Bible Belt but nonetheless it's one of the red states in flyover country. I started to read it then totally lost track of it part way through and finally finished it up a couple of years later.

The kid with the rabbit suit was batshit crazy but totally adorable anyhow. The games of chicken with the cars... The bad guys at the old factory or whatever it was... And the author used actual places and landmarks which always make a tale more interesting.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 February 2019 04:54]

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Previous Topic: Publishing, Kindle, E-readers and Paper
Next Topic: Where do you begin a story?
Goto Forum: