A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Copyright issues
Copyright issues  [message #75658] Tue, 26 March 2019 17:32 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

THis site is a US site on a US server. It is likely, but not certain, that the laws of copyright of the USA apply. This is important becaise the EU has just passed Article 13, an article believed by some to be controversial.  To seek to clarify what we do with (eg) Writing Challenges. this disclaimer will now appear
Quote:
Any picture is provided here under the doctrine of 'fair use' which is believed to apply. It is not the site's intent to infirnge copyright. Copyright owners considering that this does not apply to their work should enter into dialogue with the webmaster by email. Items where copytight is asserted will either be taken down, or attribition made, at the copyright holder's choice.

The intent is to seek to safeguard our customary way of working

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Copyright issues  [message #75659 is a reply to message #75658] Tue, 26 March 2019 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

Of course, at the end of May you will no longer be a part of the E.U......

[Updated on: Tue, 26 March 2019 21:06]

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Re: Copyright issues  [message #75660 is a reply to message #75659] Tue, 26 March 2019 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Who can say?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Copyright issues  [message #75661 is a reply to message #75658] Tue, 26 March 2019 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"timmy wrote on Tue, 26 March 2019 17:32"
THis site is a US site on a US server. It is likely, but not certain, that the laws of copyright of the USA apply. This is important becaise the EU has just passed Article 13, an article believed by some to be controversial.  To seek to clarify what we do with (eg) Writing Challenges. this disclaimer will now appear
"Quote:"
Any picture is provided here under the doctrine of 'fair use' which is believed to apply. It is not the site's intent to infirnge copyright. Copyright owners considering that this does not apply to their work should enter into dialogue with the webmaster by email. Items where copytight is asserted will either be taken down, or attribition made, at the copyright holder's choice.

The intent is to seek to safeguard our customary way of working

--
What I should have added is that to the best of my knowledge and belief that fact that a person writes a thing, draws a thing, records a thing, creates a thing, photographs a thing, creates the copyright in the first place regardless of the jurisdiction. Thus all of my, your, utterances here are covered by the fact that they are already copyright and that you own that copyright.

So it is well past due that this disclaimer appears.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 March 2019 22:46]

Re: Copyright issues  [message #75662 is a reply to message #75661] Tue, 26 March 2019 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Good job, Tim. A number of years ago, the very active website and accompanying discussion board I was admin for had this or similar "fair use" warning up and it saved our bacon on several occasions. There are people out there who have nothing better to do than to use Google to do image searches for other instances of images they own or claim to own whereupon they harrass, threaten, and/or attempt to extort website owners.

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Copyright issues  [message #75664 is a reply to message #75662] Wed, 27 March 2019 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Teddy wrote on Tue, 26 March 2019 23:19"
Good job, Tim. A number of years ago, the very active website and accompanying discussion board I was admin for had this or similar "fair use" warning up and it saved our bacon on several occasions. There are people out there who have nothing better to do than to use Google to do image searches for other instances of images they own or claim to own whereupon they harrass, threaten, and/or attempt to extort website owners.

--

I have hammered it home in the footer as well. That appears on every page of the site and is about to appear on the forum when I work out how to do it!

Re: Copyright issues  [message #75689 is a reply to message #75662] Thu, 11 April 2019 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Composer is currently offline  The Composer

Toe is in the water

"There are people out there who have nothing better to do than to use Google to do image searches for other instances of images they own or claim to own whereupon they harrass, threaten, and/or attempt to extort website owners."
<cough> Getty Images. </cough>
Re: Copyright issues  [message #75690 is a reply to message #75689] Fri, 12 April 2019 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

"The Composer wrote on Thu, 11 April 2019 05:01"
<cough> Getty Images. </cough>

--
I'm not sure exactly what point you're making but discussion boards with thousands of posts daily like the one I was admin for must of necessity use fair use warnings or disable postings of photos and videos altogether, which has an immediate and noticable negative impact on website traffic. Not all discussionboard users understand or care about copyright laws when they want to create and share a smart ass meme! LOL. It's one of the reasons that fair use laws exist. On the other hand a website without a discussion board built in is in a much better position to use purchased images from the various public domain websites (pixabay.com, freeimages.com, etc) or stock photo websites (gettyimages.com, istockphoto.com, etc.) but even then it's good practice to have fair use warings on the website.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 April 2019 02:45]

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Copyright issues  [message #75692 is a reply to message #75690] Fri, 12 April 2019 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Composer is currently offline  The Composer

Toe is in the water

There are several issues involved. See:
https://www.hackerfactor.com/blog/index.php?/archives/749-Ge tty-Images-Acknowledges-Error.html

Now, if you are going to complain about violation of copyright, you have got to show that you have suffered commercially as a result of this breach of copyright.

I might show a Getty image as part of a presentation, or possibly in my website, which earns me nothing. Getty have to prove that they have suffered a loss of income as a result of this presentation. They also have to prove that they have the copyright to that image.

Getty trawls the Internet for images which they claim are theirs, and if they find it, they demand an extremely large sum of money in recompense. Many people are intimidated by the language which lawyers use, and pay up. They really don't have to.

I am firmly on the side of copyright, since I have several books published, from which I receive the royalties. If people rip off those books, then I have worked for nothing, and who can justify taking for free the labours of others?

When it comes to images, the position is slightly different. The copyright for any image remains with the photographer unless he or she has given it elsewhere. Things become a little more complicated if you post an image onto the Internet. If you do that, and you wish to retain the copyright, it is a good idea to embed an appropriate message within the image itself. But, as I said, it is a grey area. Timmy posts some picture on his website which he has obtained from some other website. You see getting any commercial advantage from this? Not really.
Re: Copyright issues  [message #75693 is a reply to message #75692] Fri, 12 April 2019 19:32 Go to previous message

Really getting into it

Makes sense. I follow you now in that you were saying that Getty Images is one of the entities using strong arm tactics regarding photographs shared on the web.

My experience with this issue was primarily from individuals who were trying to run a scam in the hopes that we were unfamiliar with applicable statutes rather than from established businesses. We did have some legitimate claims made by individuals who held copyright to certain of the photographs that our discussion board users shared on our site, in which case our fair use disclaimers saved us from any major hassles and we willingly removed the content in question. 

Previous Topic: A walk in the park
Next Topic: Writing as a Catharsis
Goto Forum: