A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > The Bushfire Boys by Charles Well
The Bushfire Boys by Charles Well  [message #76568] Thu, 27 February 2020 23:30 Go to next message
Bisexual_Guy is currently offline  Bisexual_Guy

Likes it here

Rarely have I read a story with such anticipation as the story "The Bushfire Boys" by Charles Well.  

http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/charles-well/the-bushfi re-boys/01.html

T
he story is fast-paced, well-written, easily believed, and creates a sense of urgency and a desire to see what happens next.  (At this point, I have read the first three chapters and look forward to the next tomorrow morning.)  

Well done, Charles!
Re: The Bushfire Boys by Charles Well  [message #76569 is a reply to message #76568] Fri, 28 February 2020 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

I was just this moment debating with myself whether or not to start reading this story. You have helped me make up my mind. Beginning chapter 1 now.
Re: The Bushfire Boys by Charles Well  [message #76572 is a reply to message #76568] Sun, 01 March 2020 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"Bisexual_Guy wrote on Thu, 27 February 2020 23:30"
The story is fast-paced, well-written, easily believed

--
The believability factor is bolstered by references to current events. Specifically, the recent devastating Australian bushfires and the mention of an openly gay man running for president of the USA.
Re: The Bushfire Boys by Charles Well  [message #76573 is a reply to message #76568] Mon, 02 March 2020 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Well is currently offline  Charles Well

Getting started

Thanks Bisexual_Guy and luvtwinks for your comments about my story. I'm pleased you are enjoying it so far. I wanted to write something that was plausible and had a current theme. I started writing this in late December 2019 when the Australian bushfires first hit the international news. It was then I thought of the idea of a group of kids being separated from the adult world because of the fires. But this is a short term separation and not Lord of the Flies so no one behaves badly, except perhaps... Anyway, please keep reading. It's not a long story.

Re: The Bushfire Boys by Charles Well  [message #76575 is a reply to message #76568] Wed, 04 March 2020 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/australia-fires-for-the-first-t ime-since-july-there-are-no-bushfires-in-new-south-wales-wil dfires-end-rain/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6j&linkId=83499458#
Re: The Bushfire Boys by Charles Well  [message #76578 is a reply to message #76568] Fri, 06 March 2020 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

Well written and very timely. However, I've noticed something, perhaps it's part of the Aussie psyche, but every Australian story lately has touched on some VERY dark elements of human nature.

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"
Re: The Bushfire Boys by Charles Well  [message #76579 is a reply to message #76578] Fri, 06 March 2020 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"American_Alex wrote on Fri, 06 March 2020 00:05"
Well written and very timely. However, I've noticed something, perhaps it's part of the Aussie psyche, but every Australian story lately has touched on some VERY dark elements of human nature.

--
I suspect Australians may be more forthright. See if https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51583358 shines a light on any of that?

Edited the link! Marathon job that!

[Updated on: Fri, 06 March 2020 19:25]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The Bushfire Boys by Charles Well  [message #76580 is a reply to message #76579] Fri, 06 March 2020 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Al N. is currently offline  Al N.

Getting started

Oh Dear!

Timmy, I believe you inadvertently mangled the news story link. It should have read:

Quote:
See if https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51583358 shines a light on any of that?

Re: The Bushfire Boys by Charles Well  [message #76581 is a reply to message #76580] Fri, 06 March 2020 19:25 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Al N. wrote on Fri, 06 March 2020 18:08"
Oh Dear!

Timmy, I believe you inadvertently mangled the news story link. It should have read:

"Quote:"
See if https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51583358 shines a light on any of that?

--
Bloody thing!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Looking for a story - and thanks!
Next Topic: The Pages of Chateau d'Autignac
Goto Forum: