A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Cow Pies and Country Cousins
Cow Pies and Country Cousins  [message #75877] Tue, 27 August 2019 12:23 Go to next message
Charles Well is currently offline  Charles Well

Getting started

As a new author here, I will be interested in your opinion on the story Cow Pies and Country Cousins.
Re: Cow Pies and Country Cousins  [message #75878 is a reply to message #75877] Tue, 27 August 2019 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

As the webmaster I can say that I found Cow Pies and Country Cousins an interesting romp, with some suspension of disbelief required. It could have happened that way.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Cow Pies and Country Cousins  [message #75879 is a reply to message #75877] Tue, 27 August 2019 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

This is next on my reading list as soon as I finish the story I'm on now. I'm intrigued by the title. It sounds like it might be an interesting romp as Timmy noted. Hopefully I'll get to it this afternoon. 
Re: Cow Pies and Country Cousins  [message #75880 is a reply to message #75879] Tue, 27 August 2019 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It's one of a very few tales penned by two authors, and they have worked seamlessly. We'll let then tell us who has penned what and how they worked together, if they can do that without spoilers.

There are some appealing characters, and good character development, plus not a little adventure. My overall impression is of an adventure story, well crafted, and with excitement.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Cow Pies and Country Cousins  [message #75881 is a reply to message #75880] Tue, 27 August 2019 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

I've just finished the first chapter. NOT exactly what I was expecting. The backstory was a complete surprise! I think this story will be full of drama and intrigue in addition to tales of young love in the country. 😀

[Updated on: Tue, 27 August 2019 20:58]

Re: Cow Pies and Country Cousins  [message #75882 is a reply to message #75881] Tue, 27 August 2019 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Schroder is currently offline  Paul Schroder

Getting started

I'm actually in the middle of chapter three and you have been holding my interest. There's been many a story I've given up on by the middle of the second chapter when I realized I was forcing myself to continue. Reading should be fun.

Cow Pies and Country Cousins is fun. It also has a bit of intrigue. It has a main character that starts out as a selfish, confused dickwad but, I'm sure, will blossom towards the end. I'll enjoy watching him flower. The kids are all cute and precocious. The bad people are really bad and well crafted.

I have kind of an idea how the division of labor is as far as your dual writing. I won't speculate aloud though, in case I give something away I shouldn't.

When I get a story with multiple characters, like this one, I have to make a list. I can no longer keep things in my spongy old brain the way I once could.  Between the kids in the household and also at the swimming hole, there are far more than I can track easily. But then, I can spend all day looking for the car keys I'm carrying in my hand!

Gentlemen, send the authors some email. You don't know how antsy you can get wondering if your story is being well accepted. Since you get to read it for free, pay the small price of an email.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 August 2019 22:16]

Re: Cow Pies and Country Cousins  [message #75883 is a reply to message #75882] Tue, 27 August 2019 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

It appears only chapter 1 has been published on this site. How the fuck can you possibly be on unwritten chapter 3 already?

[Updated on: Tue, 27 August 2019 22:48]

Re: Cow Pies and Country Cousins  [message #75884 is a reply to message #75883] Wed, 28 August 2019 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Schroder is currently offline  Paul Schroder

Getting started

I'm psychic?  No... psychotic, maybe. That's a NIFTY question. And my bad.

I do tend to read other story sites, as I'm sure we all do. I didn't realize we'd only gotten to chapter one here. My apologies to Timmy.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 August 2019 01:03]

Re: Cow Pies and Country Cousins  [message #75885 is a reply to message #75884] Wed, 28 August 2019 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"Paul Schroder wrote on Wed, 28 August 2019 00:08"
That's a NIFTY question.

--This isn't NIfTY...so what's your point? Only one chapter has been posted here, on this particular site.
Re: Cow Pies and Country Cousins  [message #75887 is a reply to message #75877] Wed, 28 August 2019 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

I am pleased you all seemed to have enjoyed Cow Pies and Country Cousins so far. Sam and I wanted to write something with clear character development, some serious action in life and death situations, and perhaps a message about the future.  And no, Jimmy will not be a little shit the entire story. He has issues you will learn about as you read more. 

Sam and I worked well together. I took the lead on the story concept, but that developed and matured as we went along. The great thing about working with Sam is that I'd set him loose on a chapter and he'd come back with a draft that included 10 amazing ideas I had never even considered.
Re: Cow Pies and Country Cousins  [message #75894 is a reply to message #75887] Fri, 06 September 2019 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

"Charles Well wrote on Wed, 28 August 2019 12:35"
And no, Jimmy will not be a little shit the entire story

--
Thank goodness! I've never wanted slap a fictional character more than Jimmy! What a snotty little prick! But I see as of chapter 6 the cousins have put him in his place and he is now making an effort to get along.

Also...a very interesting card game at "the party". The kids in my neighborhood weren't that creative or adventurous. We just "played doctor" or did boring truth or dare. Lol.
Re: Cow Pies and Country Cousins  [message #75895 is a reply to message #75894] Mon, 09 September 2019 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Quote:
Thank goodness! I've never wanted slap a fictional character more than Jimmy! What a snotty little prick! But I see as of chapter 6 the cousins have put him in his place and he is now making an effort to get along.

Glad we could provoke a reaction. Jimmy has issues you will discover if you keep reading.

We have Sam to thank for the card game section. Brilliant ideas as always. How he comes up with it, I'll never know.
Re: Cow Pies and Country Cousins  [message #75909 is a reply to message #75877] Sat, 21 September 2019 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alertbay is currently offline  alertbay

Getting started

I'm thoroughly enjoying this story. Am at chaptr 10 but have slowed down to enjoy it.  Thanks for this adventure.
Re: Cow Pies and Country Cousins  [message #75955 is a reply to message #75877] Sat, 28 September 2019 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

I really liked this story. There's a little something for everyone here. Sexual escapades, drama, action, and international intrigue. Last, but not least, it had a happy ending (double entendres intended).
Cow Pies and Country Cousins by Charles Well and Sam the Ham  [message #76571 is a reply to message #75877] Sat, 29 February 2020 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
attatood.too is currently offline  attatood.too

Likes it here

Wow. It has been 6 years since I posted on this site, although I have been enjoying it from behind the scenes when I can. This is the story that brought me back out of the woodwork. It is very well written and has a great story line. The story brings together a pair of New York city brothers to a farm in South Carolina full of their cousins and keeps the reader on the edge of the seat waiting for what happens next. I wish I had grown up there... well except when the gangsters showed up from Columbia with AK47's and grenades. What's that, you ask? Read the story! You will love it!

I prefer guys that don't come in a box.
Re: Cow Pies and Country Cousins by Charles Well and Sam the Ham  [message #76574 is a reply to message #76571] Mon, 02 March 2020 02:24 Go to previous message

Getting started

Thanks alertbay, luvtwinks, and attatood.too for your comments about Cow Pies and Country Cousins. I know Sam and I both appreciate your kind words. It was a fun story to write and a wonderful experience producing something with another author. Adventure and excitement have always been the name of the game for me in writing.
Previous Topic: Dome of Death by Rigby Taylor
Next Topic: Looking for a story - and thanks!
Goto Forum: