A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > The Assault on LGBTQ Rights
 () 1 Vote
Re: The Assault on LGBTQ Rights  [message #77616 is a reply to message #77457] Wed, 03 February 2021 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin   United States

Likes it here

LEST WE BECOME TOO UNCONCERNED AS WE CELEBRATE!

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=5269&private=0

While out Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg was confirmed by a bipartisan vote of 86-13, who voted against the confirmation of the first gay Cabinet Secretary?
All Republicans from conservative states, the group have long histories of opposing LGBTQ rights. While none of them cited Buttigieg's orientation for their vote, the senators have spent their careers decrying anything remotely queer.
Some of the senators objected to the certification of electoral college votes mere hours after insurrectionists stormed the Capitol building in their own attempt to stop the certification.

The contrarian senators were:

Marsha Blackburn (TN)
Bill Cassidy (LA)
Tom Cotton (AR)
Ted Cruz (TX)
Bill Hagerty (TN)
Josh Hawley (MO)
James Lankford (OK)
Roger Marshall (KS)
Marco Rubio (FL)
Rick Scott (FL)
Tim Scott (SC)
Richard Shelby (AL)
Tommy Tuberville (AL)

The entire group support giving Christians a license to discriminate against LGBTQ people under the guise of "religious freedom." All oppose expanding civil rights protections to transgender people and marriage equality.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 February 2021 18:21]

Bensiamin
Re: The Assault on LGBTQ Rights  [message #77617 is a reply to message #77616] Thu, 04 February 2021 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy   United States

Really getting into it

And the listed politicians are probably the same ones who are so deep in the closet they've found Narnia.

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: The Assault on LGBTQ Rights  [message #77618 is a reply to message #77617] Thu, 04 February 2021 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Likely true, Teddy. LOL!!

That said, all should note that this is not just an American phenoneon occuring within US politics. The underlying motivator is white Christian nationalism, and while we have our own special and vile version here, one doesn't need to look very hard to see nationalism erearing its ugly head in many countries. In many of those countries it's not just white nationalism, but white Christian nationalism as well!

As nationalistic despots have shown through the ages, they use groups of people as scapegoats to drive the furor of the populace. The LGBTQ community is one such group, and reversing same-sex marriage rights is right up there with overturning Roe v. Wade for these people.

Bensiamin
Re: The Assault on LGBTQ Rights  [message #77619 is a reply to message #77618] Fri, 05 February 2021 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

And, it's happening on the state level too!

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=5270&private=0

But not it's more than just bathroom use prohibition. It's moved up to prohibiting trans kids from participating in sports activities!

Read the article at LGBTQ Nation here.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 February 2021 18:21]

Bensiamin
Re: The Assault on LGBTQ Rights  [message #77620 is a reply to message #77618] Fri, 05 February 2021 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

"Bensiamin wrote on Thu, 04 February 2021 09:46"
As nationalistic despots have shown through the ages, they use groups of people as scapegoats to drive the furor of the populace.

--
This reminds me of a discussion I saw on social media the other day bemoaning the phenomenon of "Cancel Culture" where if someone is disagreed with they get banned or removed from the group or ostraciized or whatever. It got me to thinking about my experience growing up wihthin evangelical christianity. I've got to say that in my opinion cancel culture does pose some problems in the realm of human discourse, but that said, my experience with christianity is that they have/had hoaned cancel culture to a very fine edge indeed and as such have no leg to stand on when complaining about cancel culture as it impacts them individually or corporately, or the leaders they support.

I got repeatedly canceled growing up. Canceled, devalued, relegated to hell, relegated to a place of such personal horror as to be paralyzed with fear; fear of continuing to live and fear of killing myself, knowing that I'd only wake up being tortured forever in the fire of hell. 

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: The Assault on LGBTQ Rights  [message #77621 is a reply to message #77620] Fri, 05 February 2021 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy   United Kingdom

Has no life at all

"Teddy wrote on Fri, 05 February 2021 19:45"

As nationalistic despots have shown through the ages, they use groups of people as scapegoats to drive the furor of the populace.

--
This reminds me of a discussion I saw on social media the other day bemoaning the phenomenon of "Cancel Culture" where if someone is disagreed with they get banned or removed from the group or ostraciized or whatever. It got me to thinking about my experience growing up wihthin evangelical christianity. I've got to say that in my opinion cancel culture does pose some problems in the realm of human discourse, but that said, my experience with christianity is that they have/had hoaned cancel culture to a very fine edge indeed and as such have no leg to stand on when complaining about cancel culture as it impacts them individually or corporately, or the leaders they support.

I got repeatedly canceled growing up. Canceled, devalued, relegated to hell, relegated to a place of such personal horror as to be paralyzed with fear; fear of continuing to live and fear of killing myself, knowing that I'd only wake up being tortured forever in the fire of hell. 

--
I was so traumatised by it here that I became homophobic

I then had the wit to cancel religion from my life, though I dabbled with it a little in the late 1990s until I remembered and saw clearly what it was

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: The Assault on LGBTQ Rights  [message #77625 is a reply to message #77621] Wed, 10 February 2021 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

"timmy wrote on Fri, 05 February 2021 14:41"

"Teddy wrote on Fri, 05 February 2021 19:45"

--

--
I was so traumatised by it here that I became homophobic

I then had the wit to cancel religion from my life, though I dabbled with it a little in the late 1990s until I remembered and saw clearly what it was

--
Yeah, I canceled it from my life as well but gradually as I grew in my understanding of life and my place in it. Now I consider myself spiritual but not religious. Religion if for people who are trying to escape hell. Spirituality is for those of us who've already been there.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 February 2021 20:57]

Re: The Assault on LGBTQ Rights  [message #77626 is a reply to message #76756] Fri, 12 February 2021 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talo Segura is currently offline  Talo Segura   France

Toe is in the water

Being Gay in Morocco in 2020.
Yassine returned from Europe to Casablanca with his parents when he was six years old. In college he experienced his first flirtation with girls, but as he explains: "I was also attracted to boys but at this age, you generally learn about things of love with both. My father and mother provided me with a conservative education, but since they had followed a scientific course, they made me aware from the age of 11 on the risks of unprotected sex with girls. In their eyes, homosexuality did not even exist as an option."

"I definitely knew I was gay when I started sleeping regularly with a boy I knew. Before, I didn't really ask myself the question of my sexual orientation. In environments where co-education is very controlled, touching between boys or between girls is commonplace. We discover our body and that of the other, generally the cousin, the playmate or the neighbor of the neighborhood. It begins with touching willies games in childhood and it happens that in adolescence it evolves into a homosexual relationship, "explains Yassine.

Homoeroticism has long existed in Arab literature and poetry, as shown by the famous pamphlets of Abu Nuwâs under the Abbasid caliphate at the end of the 8th century. Homosexuals and transvestites were also relatively tolerated in Moroccan society before the spread, in the aftermath of the Iranian revolution of 1979, of Islamist ideology. This was disseminated by the Muslim Brotherhood movement and then by the Salafist nebula within universities, before conquering the popular layers and part of the middle class. This return to religiosity was unsurprisingly to the detriment of women, laity and sexual minorities.

In the streets, especially working class neighbourhoods you need to blend in and not stick out. Something Yassine hates, but which is not without consequences: - Yassine, who then pays the price for his refusal to submit to the dictates of a homophobic street: "They insulted me, they spat on me or they threw stones at me. I am small in stature and rather puny. Once, a bunch of young thugs, there must have been eight, pulled me violently by my T-shirt then pulled me into a dead end where they all started to fiddle with me. I managed to escape them to take refuge in a supermarket."

"In this phallocratic society, with women, we are the outlet for machos and their frustrations. The resentment of homophobes is even stronger towards effeminate gays, perceived as sexually passive. They say they do not understand how the latter accept to lower themselves to the position of women when God has given them the chance to be born men. This is what virility comes down to in their eyes, to gain the upper hand, to have control even in bed."

The only openly "gay friendly" nightclub in the metropolis (Casablanca) of 6 million souls closed its doors a few years ago. Ensuring discretion and anonymity, dating applications have dethroned classic "flirting" places such as bars and cafes. It is very rare that a registrant on Grindr, Hornet or Planet Romeo displays his true identity. The subscribers exchange a few words and photos in private before making an appointment.

From time to time, the local press indeed reports assaults or even villainous murders of homosexuals by small-time bandits. Some are attracted by the greed, others by convenience, according to our young interlocutor: "On applications intended for sexual minorities, we also meet heterosexual men who seek ease. In fact, to share a moment of intimacy with a girl, when you are not living alone, you have to rent an apartment or take two rooms in a hotel, since there is a demand for a marriage contract for couples of the opposite sex. . It is stressful, risky and costly. With a boy, these problems do not arise, we can even receive him at his family. "

Indeed, if article 489 of the Moroccan Penal Code punishes from 6 months to 3 years imprisonment "licentious or unnatural acts with an individual of the same sex", article 490 of the same text of the law stipulates that the relations sexual intercourse outside marriage is punished by one month to one year of imprisonment.

"There is nothing to build here as a homosexual, everything you experience is ephemeral. We see his exes posting photos of their wedding or their first child on Facebook or Instagram. Many do not assume to be gay. They even display an outrageous homophobia while continuing to live an underground homosexuality , "laments Yassine.

Then Yassine concludes with resignation: "But the change will perhaps happen when I turn 70... I have no future here. Either I stay in Morocco and I fight for a few crumbs of rights, or I decide to leave it for a country where I can live freely, in accordance with who I am. The second option is the one I chose. "

Extracts from: Homosexual in Morocco 2020: The triple punishmentIn the kingdom, homosexuality is hated by the man of faith, vilified by the man in the street, punished by the lawyer, and most gays hide their sexual orientationBy TILILA MOUSSAOUI - 18 June 2020The Times of Israĕl.

Read the full article: https://fr.timesofisrael.com/homosexuelle-dans-le-maroc-de-2 020-la-triple-peine/
Re: The Assault on LGBTQ Rights  [message #77627 is a reply to message #76756] Thu, 18 February 2021 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

AND, HERE'S A STUDY IN IRONY!

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=5271&private=0

Which, funnily correlates with this kind of flat-earth mindset!

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=5274&private=0

[Updated on: Thu, 18 February 2021 18:36]

Bensiamin
Re: The Assault on LGBTQ Rights  [message #77628 is a reply to message #77627] Mon, 22 February 2021 17:32 Go to previous message
timmy   United Kingdom

Has no life at all

Let me read that again.  That means ~gasp~ Texas has been held  hostage by LGBT folks?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Looking for Jack Schaeffer
Next Topic: Netiquette here
Goto Forum: