A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > The wisdom of crowds, and Fags and Queers
icon5.gif The wisdom of crowds, and Fags and Queers  [message #68156] Sun, 24 November 2013 16:07 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I amuse myself with playing in Wikipedia. It's a challenging, nasty, perplexing place to work out how to interact with many decent folk and a good few weirdos. In the past couple of days there has been a farce where a shortcut, labelled 'WP:CUM' has been either deleted or not deleted and people are up in arms over the decision to delete (or not). As a spillover there are two other shortcuts WP:Fag and WP:QUEER tat are now being discussed for deletion. The relevant discussions are Fag, QUEER. I'm not posting them to invite you to take up the cudgels one way or the other. Indeed, please do not unless you are used to editing Wikipedia.

The reason for showing them to you is to let you see the peculiar differences between the two discussions. Fag is being defended stoutly whereas QUEER is being treated entirely differently. So I wondered what the difference was between the way Wikipedians hold these two terms. Is it that one remains an insult, so it should be kept, and the other is no longer an insult so they don't care much either way?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School

Read Message icon5.gif
Read Message  
Read Message  
Previous Topic: Ask Amy!
Next Topic: Mailings and outbound email blocks
Goto Forum:

[ RSS ]