A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > How would you write about the social media, immersed present
How would you write about the social media, immersed present  [message #69788] Mon, 08 June 2015 03:28 Go to previous message
larkin is currently offline  larkin

Toe is in the water

This question is how do you write about the present?  Not scientific fiction, the present?    

Let me preface this by saying that I am not anti-tech.  I've been on the computer going back to AOL, in fact I learned to write dialogue by printing out rude chat scripts.  I watched the progression from cell phone, where people walked in isolation eyes straight ahead, to the smart phone that are in fact handheld computers that command people's gaze.  Let's not forget FaceBook and other social media.

This is not the future, it is the current situation and we can expect even more free-floating media on the way.  We all know about camwhores which are also fine, but they are not real. It is a strange world where both sides are ghostly specters to each other and if the fantasy gets corrupted the entire relationship collapses like a bubble. The media we are living in is destroying genuine human qualities.     

These are fabricated entities are competing for space in our minds and they push out deeper thoughts, contemplative moods and personal creativity and love and affection.  We are unwittingly constructing the Matrix.

I can write about the low tech 90's when people still got together to talk, have love affairs and disagreements.  This is where our literature came from. I live in the states and I have a hard time finding anyone who has read a book.  It is very discouraging.

When I write about the future I prefer a post apocalyptic world where all the personal technology has ceased to work and does not present a stumbling block to the story.  All except the tech employed by a tyrannical police state.  

Anyway, ignore all my rubbish and refer back to the simple question at the top.  How would you do it?

[Updated on: Mon, 08 June 2015 03:33]

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Previous Topic: Epilogue
Next Topic: Dennis Cooper
Goto Forum:

[ RSS ]