A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Discussion vs Debate
icon14.gif Discussion vs Debate  [message #70935] Mon, 25 January 2016 14:45 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I know I've posted on this before, and I will be grateful if someone finds that thread.

Debates have winners and losers. Debating is, pretty much, a no holds barred full contact sport. It sets out entrenched views and does nothing useful to seek to change the views of those who disagree.

Discussions are similar but different. We can discuss things and allow our views to form or change during the discussion. We can say that our views have changed without fear of losing.

Despite my certainty on some topic or other, I am not correct. Despite your certainty, neither are you. Together, though, we may reach a view that surprises one or both of us, unless you try to force your view upon me, when I will defend mine, even if it is ridiculous, or I try to force mine on you, when I predict you will react in the way I do.

I have long held that we should discuss things here, but never debate them, for the reasons set out in this short post. In this manner we can discuss the undiscussable without war breaking out.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 January 2016 14:46]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School

Read Message icon14.gif
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Previous Topic: RIP David Bowie
Next Topic: Circumcision in the UK
Goto Forum:

[ RSS ]