A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I just need to get this off my chest ...
I just need to get this off my chest ...  [message #71154] Mon, 29 February 2016 23:43 Go to previous message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

As some will know, six years and one week ago, an eighteen-year-old street-sleeping HIV+ heroin addict with advanced TB moved in with me. There were a number of posts about this. He eventually got stable, and we moved out of London to a provincial city in November 2011. After a couple of years,nhe got into a relationship with a woman who lived on the far side of the country, and moved in with her.

They had two kids - the youngest born September 2015. Social services got involved, and the kids were taken into care. The lad,for assorted reasons, moved back in with me, to try to get himself in a fit state to get his kids back. Last week, he acquired a new girlfriend, in the town I live in,band moved out of my house to live with her. It was his 25th birthday on Saturday.

My 84 year old mother had a serious fall on Thursday (broken wrist, broken shoulder), and cane out if hospital on Saturday. I went over for a couple of days, to set up a TV in her bedroom, install grab rails,order appliances, and so on. She's pretty much bedridden, with a carer visiting three times a day, and her 87 year old boyfriend there to help as best he can..

I got back to my city this evening, and noticed the lad's new girlfriend begging outside the station, but did not speak. I went into the shop to buy milk,and the lad came in, rather the worse for wear, and with a bleeding cut on his nose (a device he used to use six years ago when begging). He told me he had burgled my house, and taken a TV and a backup hard drive. I threw him in a taxi, and went round to the girlfriends  house, to get the paperwork as he claimed he had pawned them. I then brought him back to my house, where I found a note saying he'd taken a couple of things but would get them back by Friday.

I was furious, but agreed that if that was all it was, I would not report him to the police if I got things back. I gave him money,so that he would at least not burgle anyone else, and he left.I then got a call from the Green Party local officer, who asked my to call my neighbours, as they were urgently trying to get hold of me but did not have my mobile number. It turns out that the lad had repeatedly burgled my house over the weekend, entering through an upstairs window, and that they had called the police on at least one occasion at 0430 as he was doing so.I discovered several more things that the lad had taken - there are probably still more things to be missed.

I went round to the neighbours for tea and sympathy, and after considerable deliberation I rang the police, explaining the situation, and emphasising that the lad is a vulnerable adult who needs psychiatric help and may be a suicide risk. I am waiting for them to come round.

I'm expecting the heating engineer at 0830 to fit a new boiler: I've been without hot water or heating (apart from a log stove in one room) for a week. I suppose that I will have to ring the assorted pawnbrokers / secondhand tech-stuff shops as soon as they open, and given his name and ask that they hold anything he brought in over the weekend.

I'm a little worried that the lad may seriously take against me,so I'm typing this with a kitchen knife close at hand, just in case.I feel upset, violated, and incredibly angry. Not a lot anyone can do about this unholy mess, but I did just need to vent.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message