A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Hiraeth by Huw Jones
Hiraeth by Huw Jones  [message #72062] Tue, 01 November 2016 18:42 Go to previous message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

Hiraeth is a Welsh word that means a great deal to a Welshman.

It means a nostalgic longing... for the hills and the language, for times past and times lost.

In this case it means a longing for when times were perfect, with family and friends, brothers and sisters.

If I tell you that the story is set initially in Aberfan, in the Welsh mining valleys and in the late 1960s then you should get a cold feeling down the back of your neck.

I believe this story to not only be excellent and entrancing... it's also sociologically important. To know how important I would need to know Huw better, but accept it as just my opinion... this story really matters.

I'm glad he didn't listen to the idiot who tried to persuade him that the subject made it a story that shouldn't be written.

What he has written is utterly magic. Time and place, fear and love... and a longing for childhood and the hills... Hiraeth!

[Updated on: Tue, 01 November 2016 18:44]

Read Message  
Read Message  
Previous Topic: multiple - sadness by Josh (J's Poems)
Next Topic: Lancelot and the Big Bang, by Rick Beck
Goto Forum:

[ RSS ]