A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Of course LGBT folk are also discriminatory, biased
icon5.gif Of course LGBT folk are also discriminatory, biased  [message #74511] Sun, 01 July 2018 21:00 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

That does not mean it is a good thing, but it is bizarre that some of "our" number express surprise that, for example:
  • White LGBT folk, often raised in a relativeky bigoted way, are in some manner racist against black forlk, and hence black LGBT folk. The reverse is also expected.
  • People who do not understand Bi folk exhibit prejudice against them
  • LGBT folk express bioas against "breeders". Even the use of the term is pejorative
  • LGBT folk of different political persuasions exhibit partisanship sometimes far greater than a heterosexual person might. 

I could very probably go on. But why are we surprised about this? Does being LGBT make us somehow special and incapable of bias or discrimination?

Look at the businesses who have decided either to print gay banners or not to print gay banners. I don't much care about the rights and wrongs of this, nor do I understand the rationale for compelling these folk to print or not to print them. But what I find I dislike is folk who pick up the cudgel of being "against this sort of thing" and trying to force them either to print a gay banner or not to print one. That, too, is bias.

Or is bias not "real bias" when the cudgel is wielded by an LGBT person?

Yes, there are different elements here. Please do not conflate them, nor think that I am conflating them.

What is your reaction to the title of this post, "Of course LGBT folk are also discriminatory, biased"?

[Updated on: Sun, 01 July 2018 21:20]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School

Read Message icon5.gif
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Previous Topic: A short and tortured life has ended.
Next Topic: Gone weekend gone
Goto Forum:

[ RSS ]