A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Better without the sex?
Better without the sex?  [message #75046] Sun, 28 October 2018 15:52 Go to previous message
American_Alex

Toe is in the water

Perhaps it's my age, but I've been noticing more stories which, after reading them, I really think they'd be better without the sex. Sometimes the sex seems a bit wierd or maybe even depraved, other times the sex is dull, bland, and really adds nothing to the story. I've also noticed that often a writer with a certain amount of talent seems to use the sex scenes as sort of a purge of his own psyche, creating unusual situations to fit his own pecadilloes or fantasies. Some more unrealistic scenes seem to be because of an author's limited experince with gay sex, others with unrealistic expectations of average physical capabilities (these mostly exist on Nifty....).

I guess it's a good thing that the story is more important than the sex most of the time, but sometimes I wish people would have somebody else read their story first. Maybe tell would them to not spend so much time on scenes that go on too long, yet aren't really interesting, or are maybe too wierd, too depraved, etc. There is a certain writer over at Nifty of whom I've spoken before; his intro always look promising, until about paragraph #4 or 5, when he introduces his diaper fetish, and the story goes off the rails. I now know that he posts in Comic Sans script, so when I see that, I know not to even bother starting...  

"Able was I ere I saw Elba"

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message