A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > We Could Be Heroes
We Could Be Heroes  [message #76070] Mon, 21 October 2019 15:56 Go to previous message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

Thanks to Timmy's hard work, We Could Be Heroes began to post today, and I've already had questions about the connection to A Friend of the Devil. This latest is Volume 2 in the larger tale titled Revelation and Redemption, and pickups right up where Volume 1 left off. For those concerned about continuity...and the march to Jackson's eighteenth birthday...not to worry!
A number of questions were raised along the way in the Forum and by email about the propriety of a main character being underage. My first comment is simply that Age of Consent is arbitrary, and in the USA ranges from 16 to 18, depending on the state. My second comment is that the tensioin this reality sets up is part of the overall tension in the story. Had the seetting been only 45 miles north in Washington state where the age of consent is 17, then it would have been a legal non-issue, but still an equally potent one in terms of propriety and conscience.
Finally, there's no escaping the significant religious themes, and that comes with the territory: David is a minister struggling with the challenges and implications of religious doctrine on his identity and relationship. Most people, in my experience, avoid such things until it is forced on them. These two characters choose to take the challenge head on, and that's to their credit. 
I hope you enjoy the story and benefit from reading it. All comments and questions are welcome!

[Updated on: Tue, 22 October 2019 16:17] by Moderator

Bensiamin

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message icon10.gif
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message