A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Lest We Forget
Lest We Forget  [message #76178] Mon, 11 November 2019 15:31 Go to previous message
Bensiamin is currently offline  Bensiamin

Likes it here

If you haven't read it before, ready yourself. If you previously read it upon its first release, you owe it to yourself to read this edited version, especially as part of commemorating Armistice Day (or Veterans Day in America).

I've never been good at writing short stories, I'm too given to lots of words. Notwithstanding that, I've always appreciated a great short story, one that crafts a character that engages the reader, develops an engaging plot line while creating a believable setting, and includes the requisite tension. Artistically crafted together, these elements propel the story forward while deeply engaging the reader. The big question: how to do it in under 5,000 words...or under 4,000 words as c_m has done.

This story is an Armistice Day post, and thus it is about being in the military and seeing service in World War I. It is also about being gay at a time it was illegal, and the penalty was severe. As an American, albeit one with British roots, I never understood that originally Armistice Day was about more than honoring those who served, and specifically those who died. It was originally created as "a day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be thereafter celebrated."

World War I was thought of then as "the war to end all wars." I can't help but wonder how different things might have been in the last century if the original focus on world peace had been kept. And, if a focus on world peace might have also led to an acceptance and tolerance of all types of people.

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=5073&private=0

[
Edited to add the link to Lest We Forget - timmy]

[Updated on: Mon, 11 November 2019 16:43] by Moderator

Bensiamin

Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Read Message  
Previous Topic: Is That a Monster in the Closet, Charlie Boone? by Geron Kees
Next Topic: A Friend of the Devil