A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Easter time once again and...
icon7.gif Easter time once again and...  [message #65618] Sun, 24 April 2011 11:48 Go to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

as a teenager I was always pressured to attend Catholic services, at least on Easter. This is the day the great mystery of Christianity takes place as Jesus arose from the tomb...or so they say, and becomes the Christ. Thus the carpenter of Nazareth crosses the line and becomes a god. Not my god, but someones.

That was the story anyway. Any writer will tell you this is a stunning piece of work, look how many books it has sold. So in honor of the Greatest (fictional) Story Ever Told, I give you Tom Lehrer.

Since the Catholic Church is so filled with ritual and pomposity I always thought this song would fit in real well right after the gospels are read. Imagine the whole congregation singing this, the words are quite simple. I try to view this every Easter just to poke fun at the church, and to thank goodness that I escaped that dilemma.

For those of you who don't know Tom Lehrer, read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Lehrer

[Updated on: Sun, 24 April 2011 12:05]

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Easter time once again and...  [message #65619 is a reply to message #65618] Sun, 24 April 2011 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

But it's a fertility festival for the goddess Eostre hijacked by christians who can't even work out which day their god was resurrected.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Easter time once again and...  [message #65620 is a reply to message #65619] Sun, 24 April 2011 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

How interesting that pagan symbols like eggs, rabbits and pine trees persist in the Christian faith. And how strange that the cruci-fiction of Jesus always falls on a Friday no matter what the calender's date might be. At least us athiests ought to be thankful, we get the same long holiday weekend. ;-D Some in the US even celebrate an Easter Monday, so why not the 5th of July, or the 26th of December? I love holidays.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Easter time once again and...  [message #65622 is a reply to message #65620] Sun, 24 April 2011 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

"For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. (Matt.12:40)

I know i'm pedantic but that verse has bothered me ever since i was a beardless boy in short pants. The bible stories state that he was entombed late Friday afternoon and had risen and gone just after dawn on Sunday - to call that 3 days in the tomb is really stretching it and no way in Hell (pun!) is that 3 nights. Friday night, Saturday night - that's 2 isn't it?

cheers

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
icon7.gif Re: Easter time once again and...  [message #65623 is a reply to message #65622] Sun, 24 April 2011 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Matthew was a tax collector by trade. Perhaps he was a better disciple. But when have you ever known a tax man who can count properly?

Re: Easter time once again and...  [message #65624 is a reply to message #65623] Sun, 24 April 2011 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

Sad)

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Re: Easter time once again and...  [message #65625 is a reply to message #65624] Sun, 24 April 2011 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

"According to The Catholic Encyclopedia, in early Christianity, eggs were one of the forbidden items to eat during Lent. So they were one of the first things consumed in celebration of the end of Lent. Eggs also symbolized the rebirth of mankind through Jesus' self-sacrifice."

Can anyone recognize bull shite when you read it?

Re: Easter time once again and...  [message #65626 is a reply to message #65625] Sun, 24 April 2011 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Well, the clue was the religion and the sect!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Easter time once again and...  [message #65627 is a reply to message #65618] Mon, 25 April 2011 01:02 Go to previous message
Scott is currently offline  Scott

Likes it here

OMG Chris!! Thank you for linking to one of my all time favorite musical satirists. I watched "TW3" when I was a kid, and loved how they made fun of politics using music. I even have (well, my soon-to-be ex-wife has) an original "That was the Year that was" album. The rest of my family didn't get the humor, or maybe didn't WANT to get the humor, because it made fun of things they seemed to hold dear.

As for the Easter thing, I was originally kind of bummed when I had no place to go over what is essentially my spring break (a 5-day weekend). I had NO desire to go to church, heaven forbid! The kids were too busy to have me visit (the older one plays organ in a church....for the extra money). So, I went out with some friends (straight at that), figured out a few new cycling routes (I'm leading one of my gay groups on a ride to New Hope, PA next month, and needed to figure out the logistics. And yes, it's for gay pride week.)

So, now that I've totally skewed the direction of your thread, sorry about that, just a little. But the video brought back some great memories. Thanks!

Cycling is the one sport where a guy can shave his legs, wear spandex and bright colors, and be accepted.
Previous Topic: Hate Crime Laws
Next Topic: Hunky Jesus Easter 2011
Goto Forum: