A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > iomfats.org layout problem
iomfats.org layout problem  [message #65671] Tue, 03 May 2011 04:34 Go to next message
dgt224 is currently offline  dgt224

Toe is in the water

For some time I have been seeing an annoying layout error on the main page at http://iomfats.org and other pages that use the same basic layout. It appears that the left column is styled with a fixed width (either 239 or 243 pixels, and I'm too lazy to figure out which applies to Firefox 3.x), while the "email" input object near the end of that column has a fixed width of 30 characters. At the default font sizes and the slightly larger size I prefer for reading text on iomfats.org, the "email" input object extends beyond the right edge of its containing column; on the main page it consistently obscures part of one of the poll responses, including the checkbox that must be clicked upon to select that response.

This may be a Firefox 3.x bug. At least, it does not occur with Chromium 11.0.686.57 unless font sizes are reduced nearly to unreadability. On the other hand, if it is possible to set the size of the "email" input object by setting its width via CSS, it seems to me that ought to make the email input field remain proportional to the column that contains it.

This problem occurs with Firefox 3.6.17 running on 32-bit Ubuntu 10.10.
Re: iomfats.org layout problem  [message #65672 is a reply to message #65671] Tue, 03 May 2011 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Below are screenshots from Firefox 3.x (Mac), Safari (Mac), IE (XP), Firefox (XP), Chrome (XP). Each browser renders differently.

So far I can't see the problem of impingement. i suspect your client's setup.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 May 2011 08:47]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: iomfats.org layout problem  [message #65673 is a reply to message #65671] Tue, 03 May 2011 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

I have encountered no apparent problem on my server (AMD 64-bit, Windows 7 Ultimate) in either Firefox 3.6.17 or 4.0.1 (screen-shots attached herewith) nor with SeaMonkey 2.0.14 or 2.1 (each of which are sourced from the same GRE as their respective Firefox versions 3.6 or 4.0) with the latter (2.1) representing my default web-browser.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Tue, 03 May 2011 08:17]

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: iomfats.org layout problem  [message #65680 is a reply to message #65671] Tue, 03 May 2011 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

Here is what I'm seeing. I have no difficulty believing that it's quite specific to my client, but this is a pretty vanilla Ubuntu 10.10 installation. I'll do a little more experimenting and see if I can find anything tweakable that will change the layout for me. In any case, it's certainly not a major problem for me.
  • Attachment: ScreenCap.jpg
    (Size: 54.49KB, Downloaded 347 times)
Re: iomfats.org layout problem  [message #65682 is a reply to message #65680] Tue, 03 May 2011 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I fear you may be unique. I hope so. It does look messy in your screenshot.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: iomfats.org layout problem  [message #65706 is a reply to message #65671] Sat, 07 May 2011 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

As I speculated in my original message, setting the width attribute for the "email" input object corrects the observed problem -- three cheers for Stylish, which makes testing such things pretty easy. I'm inclined to think that this is a bug in the Ubuntu 10.10 build of Firefox 3.6.x. I don't remember seeing it before I "upgraded" to 10.10 (which doesn't prove a lot, since it's been six months), and it doesn't seem to show up in Firefox 3.6.x on other platforms or in other browsers.

Anyway, I have now applied the style "input[name=email] {width: 100%;}" to domain iomfats.org, which doesn't seem as though it should fix much of anything but does, in fact, correct the observed problem. Thanks for all the feedback.
Re: iomfats.org layout problem  [message #65707 is a reply to message #65706] Sat, 07 May 2011 09:47 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I'll pass this to Megaman who oversees the technical aspects of the site. I think he is likely to agree that this is a bug in either UB or FF. Of course, since you have added the parameter at your end, nothing he does will be visible to you Wink

Previous Topic: Musical comedy intended for adults
Next Topic: My Blackberry Is Not Working!
Goto Forum: