A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > NW and friends
NW and friends  [message #65888] Thu, 23 June 2011 01:16 Go to next message
Cameron is currently offline  Cameron

Toe is in the water

I tried to see when the last time NW posted and his id has been removed. Is he OK? Any one heard from him lately? How about cossie? Or JimB? Or grasshopper? I sure do miss the guys.
NW / saxifraga_umbros update  [message #65889 is a reply to message #65888] Thu, 23 June 2011 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Thanks for asking.

I'm OK, but going through a lot of changes in my life at the moment. I haven't been here much for some months (no broadband at home at present, due to financial pressures), but drop in from time to time. My ID here changed a little time ago from NW to saxifraga_umbros, so there are some posts under that name.

Some here will remember that I lost my job, unexpectedly, at the start of March. The past three months have been devoted to getting my flat ready to sell, and putting it on the market. It was advertised for sale a month ago, and sold, at full asking priice, within a week.

I've put an offer in on a semi-detached house in Worcester, and am waiting to hear back from them (probably next week). The house is a definite "fixer-upper", and hasn't had anything done to it for around 45 years, so it needs new kitchen, heating, wiring ... most of which I can do myself if I take it very slowly because of my dodgy back, so I should be kept occupied for a couple of years. I really hope that I get it: if not, there are other places in Worcester, not in need of quite so much work on them.

Worcester was chosen 'cos it's a reasonably small market town, easy access to my elderly Mum (an hour by train on a direct line). Property is enough cheaper than London that I can buy outright, hopefully with a bit left over, and no longer having to pay a mortgage will let me live OK on my pension.

I'm still with the lad: he is making good progress in learning to control his impulsive behaviour and overcome his ADHD and OCD, His handwriting is also now also occasionally legible: with the very severe dyslexia he has, that's a significant achievement. I'm not sure if he's really ready for the move - I'd originally thought of moving out of London (which I've been wanting to do for a couple of years now) at a time that suited his progress, but loss of job has brought things forward. I'm not sure how he'll adjust to a life of DIY house repairs and growing our own vegetables, but fingers crossed.

I hope that I'll be back to being a more regular presence here after we move ... currently hoping for middle of August (the lad's TB teatment finishes then, so that's when we're aiming for). I do miss a lot of the people here!

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: NW / saxifraga_umbros update  [message #65890 is a reply to message #65889] Thu, 23 June 2011 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

How did you know I was thinking of you this morning? I was about to call you. Still can if you like Smile I know funds are tight at present, so I will return a call if you call me Smile

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: NW and friends  [message #65891 is a reply to message #65888] Thu, 23 June 2011 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Cossie betook himself away. Grasshopper has a real life now, a great thing to have. His online life has waned. That is a good thing, except for us, of course. Jim B I have sen recently, I am sure.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: NW and friends  [message #65893 is a reply to message #65888] Thu, 23 June 2011 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JimB is currently offline  JimB

Likes it here

Hi Cameron,

Thank you for thinking of me. I am doing well in these troubled economic times and have no complaints worth voicing. I seldom post here any more because I was made to feel unwelcome here. Also, I find the content of the forum has changed over the last year or so and topics of interest to me are a rarity.

I hope all is well with you. If you would like to communicate more my email addy is the same.

JimB
Re: NW / saxifraga_umbros update  [message #65895 is a reply to message #65889] Fri, 24 June 2011 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

Good to hear from you. Sorry you lost your job. I'm glad you were able to sell your home, though. I am sure that will make things easier.
Hopefully, the boy will adjust fine and probably find he loves growing vegetables.

Thanks for writing back.

Cameron
Re: NW and friends  [message #65896 is a reply to message #65891] Fri, 24 June 2011 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

Thanks, timmy. I am happy for grasshopper. I see that NW and JimB have posted. I'm sorry I didn't get an email add. for cossie before he left. I need to lurk less and post more... Smile

Cameron
Re: NW and friends  [message #65897 is a reply to message #65893] Fri, 24 June 2011 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

I posted recently about how the forum seems so different to me, too. It makes me feel a little sad in a way. It used to have that "Fraternity/Alumni" sort of camaraderie feel. Now it's more activist, which is not bad, just different. I suppose things always evolve and change and I want it to be like I remember it.

It was good of you to say hello, especially since you don't post here much.

Cameron
Tone. Posting fail.  [message #65900 is a reply to message #65897] Fri, 24 June 2011 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The forum's tone is set by the posts. That is a truism. There are activist posts because activism is needed. There used to be other posts, too, and those were needed, but they went.

The rather silly thing is that the posters who didn't like the activist posts stopped posting the other posts. Then they (some of them) complained that the activist posts had taken over. Well, that is one of the reasons why the activist posts took over - the others had stopped.

I accept that people can be weird, but that one beats all logic. It seems to have gone like this:

"The forum is what I make it, but I don't like the fact that a lot of the current posts are activist. What I'm gong to do, now, is to stop posting other posts and moan about the quantity of activist ones. That will make the forum like it was when I liked it."

Fail.

Re: Tone. Posting fail.  [message #65902 is a reply to message #65900] Fri, 24 June 2011 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

That is truly not what I meant to say. If it was received that way, I apologize. I don't like whining, either and I didn't intend to do that.
Re: Tone. Posting fail.  [message #65903 is a reply to message #65902] Fri, 24 June 2011 21:32 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I fear I was tired. I did not, I hope, accuse you of whining. It was a general comment, not a specific one

Previous Topic: American Justice At Work
Next Topic: Gay marriage...state by state
Goto Forum: