A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > 25 Years of Gay rights in New Zealand
25 Years of Gay rights in New Zealand  [message #65939] Fri, 08 July 2011 20:07 Go to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

Today is the 9th of July, (it may not be yet where you are, but don't worry you'll catch up). Today is the twenty-fifth anniversary of the passing of the Homosexual Law Reform Bill which decriminalised consensual sex between males aged over 16 years in New Zealand - only a blip on the world's radar but it was a huge thing for us.

In the 16 month campaigns leading up to the bill's passing there was huge controversy and prolonged debate. Two petitions, (on paper - how quaint!), were circulated and presented to parliament, one in support of reform and one against. The one in support had 800,000 signatures - not bad when you consider that the population at the time was only about 3 million and at least half of them would've been children.

The 'anti' campaign was headed by the Coalition of Concerned Citizens, a specially formed group headed by Reformed Churches and Pentecostal Christians. Some of this group later went into politics as the Christian Heritage Party, later renamed Christian Heritage New Zealand and now defunct as their leader, Graham Capill, was convicted of multiple sex offences against girls under 12 years of age and is currently serving a 9 year jail sentence.

Civilisation as we knew it did not come to an end, as was predicted, and today we can celebrate 25 years of equal rights. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5259144/25-years-of-gay-rights-in-New-Zealand

I am definitely not an up-front campaigning type person but it amazes me how many of the people in that article i've known. New Zealand really is a village sometimes.

cheers

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Re: 25 Years of Gay rights in New Zealand  [message #65940 is a reply to message #65939] Fri, 08 July 2011 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

As we get older, those of us who were never previously campaigners, we realise that our moment to campaign has arrived. Some find that moment before others. Your moment will arrive.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: 25 Years of Gay rights in New Zealand  [message #65941 is a reply to message #65939] Sat, 09 July 2011 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

How wrong can we get? The sodomy laws of various states in the U.S. were not repealed until 2003. Prior to that some states struck down the laws or refused to enforce them, but not until 2003 did we have a national change.

Most states still set the age of consent at 18 for any homosexual activity. The absurdity is that many states allow heterosexuals to go at it much younger (12 I believe is the youngest). Discrimination is still alive and well here.

No matter that New Zealand is viewed as a tiny country no bigger than some of the U.S. states, the truth is that you have a larger mind and a social system that seems to embrace everyone. Cheers to you as well! Smile

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
icon6.gif Emancipation  [message #65942 is a reply to message #65941] Sat, 09 July 2011 12:10 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Yet NZ is not squeaky clean. It has issues, societally, with the Maori folk, stereotyping them as drunk and stupid. Some are. So are some white folk there. No nation is above reproach. Some nations are genuinely praiseworthy.

The USA is far ahead of the rest of the world in creating full equality for heterosexual white protestants, for example. They lead in that regard.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: This Kid Is Fabulous! ( And his Mom's not bad either)
Next Topic: Six Atlanta Police Officers Fired over Eagle Raid
Goto Forum: