A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > On the surface this looks good...
icon5.gif On the surface this looks good...  [message #65967] Thu, 14 July 2011 22:11
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

but I suppose it could become a disaster.

http://news.yahoo.com/calif-gov-signs-landmark-law-teach-gay-history-190037960.html

You may or may not remember last years contentious adoption of new standards in the Texas school systems. The Board charged with approving textbooks had come up with the brilliant idea of re-writing American history. The effect would spread far beyond the borders of that state because Texas is one of the major textbook producers in the nation.

So now California will have classroom discussions that include LBGT issues and we can only hope the material will be factual. Depends: who will write the textbooks? If they come from Texas I would doubt their objectivity.

Yes, it is good to discuss gay history along with that of everyone else. Those who are prejudiced will still object, those who bully LBGT kids will still practice their own brand of hate. But for those kids in need, those who must see that they are not alone, I think this is a good step forward if it is closely monitored. I will reserve judgment and keep my eyes open.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Previous Topic: It's masturbation month!
Next Topic: Editorial- An Evil Truth Exposed
Goto Forum: