A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Posted Without Comment
icon4.gif Posted Without Comment  [message #66230] Sat, 15 October 2011 02:42 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

Florida lawmaker wants to put the pain back into capital punishment-
“There shouldn’t be anything controversial about a .45-caliber bullet. If it were up to me we would just throw them off the Sunshine Skyway bridge and be done with it…In the words of Humphrey Bogart [sic], ‘Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.’ I am so tired of being humane to inhumane people.”

A bill filed Tuesday by Rep. Brad Drake, R-Eucheeanna, would allow for executions by firing squad. HB 325 would eliminate Florida’s standard method of execution, lethal injection, and allow for executions only by electrocution or firing squad.

In a Waffle House in DeFuniak Springs, Drake said he heard a constituent say, “‘You know, they ought to just put them in the electric chair or line them up in front of a firing squad.’” After a conversation with the person, Drake, 36, said he decided to file the bill.

…There have been problems in the past with electrocutions. In the late 1990s Florida’s electric chair, known as “Old Sparky,” left one death row inmate convicted of a triple-homicide alive for moments after the electrocution, and sparked a fire on another inmate’s face during the execution. Drake does not share those concerns.

Considering the work of The Innocence Project has resulted in freeing wrongly-convicted people on Death Row (including 13 in Florida), you’d think Drake would want to be sure about the capital punishment convictions in his state. No, he’d rather focus on how to best shoot and fry them. Legal expert Jonathan Turley:

Drake may want to visit Iran where Sharia judges mete out punishment on the same theory from pouring acid into eyes to throwing people in bags down hills with sharp rocks.

When politicians start to run on the promise of pain for convicted persons, we have finally de-evolved into an unrecognizable state. Of course, promising to terrify inmates and hurt them is probably preferred to dealing with social programs being shutdown and unemployment rising in the state. What is left is promise of gratuitous pain to satisfy some deep need.
  • Attachment: GOP Nazis.jpg
    (Size: 94.06KB, Downloaded 583 times)
Who needs a comment  [message #66231 is a reply to message #66230] Sat, 15 October 2011 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Legalised murder is bad enough. Lethal injection is inhumane anyway. The terror must be awful. Making it hurt badly as well...

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Who needs a comment  [message #66234 is a reply to message #66231] Sun, 16 October 2011 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benji is currently offline  Benji

Likes it here

Drake seems to misquote as well, it was Clark Gable as Rhett Butler that said those immortal words, in 'Gone with the Wind'.
Re: Who needs a comment  [message #66249 is a reply to message #66234] Wed, 19 October 2011 04:25 Go to previous message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

America has more than begun the hurt with its disabled population. The disabled are the first to die in a facist state.

Raymundo
Previous Topic: Sad suicide death of Jamie Hubley
Next Topic: Abandoned Stories
Goto Forum: