A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Abandoned Stories
Abandoned Stories  [message #66235] Mon, 17 October 2011 09:04 Go to next message
LowFlyer is currently offline  LowFlyer

Getting started

Sorry, hope this isn't an inappropriate thread for this forum.

Recently, I've started reading two different stories on the site only to find that they just stop half way through. In both cases, the most recent chapter was well over a year ago, leading me to assume they were complete.

I totally understand that some authors just run out of steam or time, but would it be possible to mark the stories in some way so that it would be clear from the start that a reader wasn't going to get a conclusion?

LF
icon7.gif You make a persuasive point  [message #66236 is a reply to message #66235] Mon, 17 October 2011 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have adopted a convention from an arbitrary point a while ago of marking stories either as Complete or marking them with the number of chapters the author is sending me or has sent me, or knows he or she will send me. Obviously I haven't achieved this with all authors and all tales.

That doesn't solve your reasonable disappointment where a story appears to have been abandoned. To be fair I'm not truly sure how to handle it. Often an author promises me that there will be updates, but the promised update fails to arrive. This is usually because the author has an honest intention of writing more. I can't make the judgement for them.

What I can do is to take notice when readers let me know that a story appears to be abandoned and try to flag them as Not Yet Complete. What I always hope is that readers will attempt to contact the author to ask them what their intentions are. As you can imagine, checking back through all the authors and tales is quite a large job. I'd prefer readers to help me by letting me know where there is a problem. There is but one of me as webmaster.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 October 2011 11:01]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: You make a persuasive point  [message #66237 is a reply to message #66236] Mon, 17 October 2011 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

And you, too, make a fair point. I guess people don't deliberatly quit half way through and it's hard for you to keep up.

Perhaps I'll write to the two authors myself. It's hard to be sure how to phrase it, though, without sounding accusatory. After all, I'm not paying anyone for the stories so can't complain too stronly if they're not finished.
Re: You make a persuasive point  [message #66238 is a reply to message #66237] Mon, 17 October 2011 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The best email is "I love [story]. It was so [whatever it was] to read. I was looking forward to reading the conclusion. What plans do you have for completing it? I really hope you do"

[Updated on: Mon, 17 October 2011 11:37]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: You make a persuasive point  [message #66239 is a reply to message #66238] Mon, 17 October 2011 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

I do write to authors when I've enjoyed a tale so I guess it's a small step.

At least one of the authors in question appears to be posting on the forum so perhaps some of them might get in touch with you themselves.
Re: You make a persuasive point  [message #66240 is a reply to message #66239] Mon, 17 October 2011 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I keep prodding Brody! He's just changed his occupation and is sorting his new timetable out. Feel free to prod him mercilessly!

icon12.gif Re: You make a persuasive point  [message #66241 is a reply to message #66240] Mon, 17 October 2011 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Well, I wasn't going to mention any names, but now you mention it...

And, since we're mentioning specifics now, I tried to contact Feangol, but the email address on the story chapters doesn't work. Pity - it's an excellent story now.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 October 2011 12:35]

Re: You make a persuasive point  [message #66242 is a reply to message #66241] Mon, 17 October 2011 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Feangol I shall handle now Smile I have lost track of him. We met in person a few times. Nice guy.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 October 2011 12:55]

Re: You make a persuasive point  [message #66243 is a reply to message #66240] Mon, 17 October 2011 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DesDownunder is currently offline  DesDownunder

Likes it here

I have hounded Brody, and he needs to be chained to his laptop until he completes the story. Whipping him won't help as he would just enjoy it.

My mother had the perfect words for shaming those who failed to write to her in a timely fashion. Once, I had not written to her for about six weeks, so she sent me a telegram which read,

"Hello my darling son, sorry to hear your arm is broken. - Love Mum."

I phoned her, long distance, straight away.

DesDownunder

Call me naive if you want, but life without trust in the goodness of others would be intolerable.

Religious indoctrination: It gets better, without it.
Re: unfinished stories  [message #66247 is a reply to message #66243] Tue, 18 October 2011 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulj is currently offline  paulj

Likes it here

I never thought of putting a message here. I have had endless difficulties this year in getting any writing time that works for me.

I won't bore you all with reasons but suffice it to say that sibling difficulties and major over running building works have caused me to stagnate.

Liam will be finished quite soon. There is one more Chapter (and that is over halfway done..) and there is a new story in planning... I fully expect to complete that in a timely schedule.

I'm sorry that matters have slipped away as they have it's been one of those years!!

Best wishes..

Paul Jamison.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 October 2011 09:10]

Re: unfinished stories  [message #66248 is a reply to message #66247] Tue, 18 October 2011 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Glad to hear things are looking up at your end. I'm very much looking forward to the last part of Liam and the sequel.

I love the little scenario you've created and it's nice to read something with a UK setting once in a while.
icon6.gif Re: unfinished stories  [message #66250 is a reply to message #66248] Wed, 19 October 2011 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

WASHINGTON -- Oct. 19 | If only I had a spare minute here or there to continue Meghan's story which is in outline and the next chapter is 1/3 of the way written- BUT, as Tim so kindly pointed out, I have gone from being a journalistic freelancer back stepping back into a corporate position as Washington Bureau Chief for a national publication.

Which at this point, doesn't leave me much in the way of 'spare time' to devote to Meghan & her story. I am however, planning on finishing it.

I should also note that the 'posting' here reflects a minute or two infrequently to bring the readership here news, opinion, and information that I find pertinent to the LGBTQ community at large, or in some cases to deliver a rant on the latest offence from "corporate christianity" or other opponents of equality.

~ Brody Levesque
Washington Bureau Chief
LGBTQNation Magazine
Re: unfinished stories  [message #66251 is a reply to message #66250] Wed, 19 October 2011 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Nice desk. I always say an empty desk is the sign of an empty mind!

I've updated http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/levesque/ to reflect your comments Smile

icon12.gif Re: unfinished stories  [message #66252 is a reply to message #66250] Wed, 19 October 2011 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Getting started

Sorry, Brody, I meant absolutely no offence when I pointed out you were "posting here" (actually, I didn't actually name any names...). Of course you're busy and being Bureau Chief in Washington sounds like a pretty big thing.

I'll look forward to seeing it whenever it appears.

LF

P.S. Timmy's right - that's one heck of a desk. It's a wonder you can even find your story notes...
Re: unfinished stories  [message #66253 is a reply to message #66250] Wed, 19 October 2011 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DesDownunder is currently offline  DesDownunder

Likes it here

That's not you work space Brody, the in-tray doesn't have enough in it, beside which, you can still see out the windows, the chair is still in one piece, there's no coffee pot, and there's a cat by the window, I think, eating the flower arrangement.

DesDownunder

Call me naive if you want, but life without trust in the goodness of others would be intolerable.

Religious indoctrination: It gets better, without it.
Not "his" workspace ...  [message #66254 is a reply to message #66253] Wed, 19 October 2011 21:15 Go to previous message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... nor is the Superman "Bobble-head" cast in the frame by the bed; nor your youngest son's nude portait hanging over your desk.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Wed, 19 October 2011 21:16]

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Previous Topic: Posted Without Comment
Next Topic: Self harming
Goto Forum: