A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > just wondering.....
just wondering.....  [message #66318] Sat, 19 November 2011 00:49 Go to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

do most new cars in the U.K. come without a spare tire (or tyre)?

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: just wondering.....  [message #66319 is a reply to message #66318] Sat, 19 November 2011 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Depends on the make and model. Many come with a skinny spare wheel and tyre that is good for a decent mileage, but a slower top speed.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: just wondering.....  [message #66320 is a reply to message #66319] Sat, 19 November 2011 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

I remember the early days of car imports here in the US. Back then one of the accessories you could get from Honda was a heater. Imagine selling a car without heat, that wouldn't even be practical in Africa!

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
man, oh man ...  [message #66321 is a reply to message #66320] Sun, 20 November 2011 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... YOU ARE dating yourself.

That was the first Toyota Corollas circa 1974 or 1975.

On the other hand early Morris Minors imported into Canada in the 1950's (marvelous little endeavours those were) came with or without heat; the heat being of the vacuum type, dependent on the speed you were travelling in order to render any volume of heat. Once you slowed down the heat failed and you would have to accelerate again in order to keep it going; quite bothersome really.

I won't claim any first hand knowledge to either of these; but, my very first vehicle was indeed a Morris and you daren't put your feet to hard down on the flooring or they went entirely through it; the floor boards actually being made of plywood. Go figure!

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: man, oh man ...  [message #66322 is a reply to message #66321] Sun, 20 November 2011 06:51 Go to previous message
dgt224 is currently offline  dgt224

Toe is in the water

Oh, yeah - the early Toyota Corollas. One of the guys I worked with in the 1970's had one of those - it was generally referred to as "Tom's toy car." This was in a suburb of St. Paul, Minnesota; I'm pretty sure he got it with the optional heater.
Previous Topic: Talent
Next Topic: Notice to Young Writers...
Goto Forum: