A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Why a Bible belt conservative spent a year pretending to be gay
Why a Bible belt conservative spent a year pretending to be gay  [message #67105] Sat, 13 October 2012 17:13 Go to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/13/bible-belt-conse rvative-year-gay

An interesting experiment, in the great tradition of "Black like me" (a book which had a profound effect on me when I read it in my early teens)? Or does it show a major failure of empathy that someone absolutely couldn't understand aspects of being gay without faking it?

At any rate, I'm glad the outcome was a positive one.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Why a Bible belt conservative spent a year pretending to be gay  [message #67143 is a reply to message #67105] Fri, 02 November 2012 06:22 Go to previous message
bisexualguy is currently offline  bisexualguy

Toe is in the water

I am in the process of reading the book The Cross in the Closet by Timothy Kurek.  I am about 1/3 through the book, and hope to have it finished in a week or two, work and family time permitting.  He changes a lot from the beginning to the book to where I am now, and I have peeked at several pages near the end and he changes more.  As he wears the label of gay more and more, he becomes more and more understanding of the problems gays and lesbians go through, and he says at the end of the book he has the most difficult time understanding transgendered persons, because he is not aware of knowing any personally.  (Personally, I DO know one transgendered person on a personal basis.  I was the only person who called her while she was recovering from the operations that changed her from male to female in Canada.)

He admits he does not know how a person who is gay feels, but he has understanding of what happens when someone is publicly admitting having the LABEL of gay.  His brother was very mad at Tim for saying he (Tim) was gay when he really wasn't. Tim also admitted if he could have turned gay, he would have wanted to be gay for the guy who played his boyfriend for almost a year to give Tim protection from aggressive guys who might have forced him to do something sexual that he was not willing to do. 

I was very surprised how many gays were upset that Tim wore the label of gay for a year.  He was trying to UNDERSTAND and is now a straight ally of the gay and lesbian and bisexual community. He did not start out to write a book, but did sometimes keep a journal. It shows a bigoted guy can change.  Those who are gay, lesbian, or bisexual like myself need straight allies.
Previous Topic: Kitsch!
Next Topic: Sorry Brody; but, I couldn't resist recommending ...
Goto Forum: