A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Why do we look?
icon5.gif Why do we look?  [message #67317] Thu, 17 January 2013 17:42 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We are all "adult in our outlook" aren't we? We all appreciate the face first, or other external anatomical parts, don't we?

So why, in the locker room, do we just have to see that guy's dick even if it makes it so obvious that we're doing t?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Why do we look?  [message #67318 is a reply to message #67317] Thu, 17 January 2013 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

I suspect that one contributing factor is that we're brought up in a society in which we're expected to keep or 'bits' hidden. They are even referred to as our 'privates'. Somehow naughty and forbidden, and therefore made more interesting and more the object of curiosity.

Perhaps, if we were brought up in a nudist society we wouldn't be so interested in such 'private bits', though I suspect that there would still be a little interest, not least because humans do like to compare themselves with others, even if it's not particularly sexual - he's taller than me, I'm more muscular than him, her hair is a mess, etc. In any case, if we were brought up in a nudist society there would be no need to pay particular attention in locker rooms. Maybe there'd even be no need for locker rooms! Smile

Re: Why do we look?  [message #67319 is a reply to message #67317] Thu, 17 January 2013 23:51 Go to previous message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Actually, unless the guy interests me in some way (pretty face or interesting conversation) or has previously talked about his dick in a way to make me want to check whether it corresponds to reality, I don't generally check men out in locker rooms or wherever.

I suspect that in this way (as in many others) I'm atypical.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Previous Topic: Unconscious sexual stereotyping
Next Topic: So. Where are we going to go from here?
Goto Forum: