A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > So. Where are we going to go from here?
So. Where are we going to go from here?  [message #67320] Tue, 22 January 2013 17:07 Go to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

An American President has said it; therefore, it must be so.

Barak Obama, yesterday in his second inaugural address to the nation (and to the World I suppose) is now being widely quoted for his remarks from the front steps of the Capitol Building in Washington, D.C.

Calling for equality for gay and lesbian Americans, President Obama spoke of "Our journey (not being) complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well."

Referencing the Stonewall riots with other civil rights battles, and tying it into Martin Luther King, Jr's legacy, Barak Obama added "We, the people, declare today that the most evident of truths that all of us are created equal is the star that guides us still; just as it guided our forebears through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall; just as it guided all those men and women, sung and unsung, who left footprints along this great Mall, to hear a preacher say that we cannot walk alone; to hear a King proclaim that our individual freedom is inextricably bound to the freedom of every soul on Earth."

A side-bar to the aforementioned, never before has the word "gay" ever been uttered by a President in their inaugural address.

So, I say again "Where are we going to go from here?"

Likely some 2-billions, or more souls world-wide will have seen (and/or heard) Mr. Obama's speech and like myself are now wondering just what the global ramifications of such a startling revelation are going to be.

Are the American people as a whole going to "put up, and shut up" and finally get on with the job of creating a society where "Equal means simply that ... equal", where everyone, regardless of their race, religion, politics, financial where-with-all, language, age, sex or sexual orientation and marital status will truly be seen to be, AND TREATED equally by all.

Should they do so, and I sincerely hope that they do, then it will be time for the rest of humanity to get with the self-same programme before we collectively annihilate one another.

Surely this is a concept whose time has finally come.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

Re: So. Where are we going to go from here?  [message #67321 is a reply to message #67320] Tue, 22 January 2013 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I imaging enormous efforts from the marginal religionutters against the speech. Someone is sure to attempt impeachment! And the USA will, at last, become a true global citizen. IT will struggle not to, now.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: So. Where are we going to go from here?  [message #67322 is a reply to message #67320] Tue, 22 January 2013 19:48 Go to previous message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

There are still many vehemently anti-gay people and organisations in the USA. Even if the USA is going in the right direction regarding gay rights, other countries (e.g. Russia) are going in the opposite direction. Overall, I'm not optimistic about the the direction the world as a whole is going wrt accepting gay people.

< http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/jan/22/eu-russia-anti-g ay-law/>

...a public kiss could be defined as illegal "homosexual propaganda" and bring a fine of up to $16,000.

The legislation being pushed by the Kremlin and the Russian Orthodox Church would make it illegal nationwide to provide minors with information that is defined as "propaganda of sodomy, lesbianism, bisexuality and transgenderism." It includes a ban on holding public events that promote gay rights. St. Petersburg and a number of other Russian cities already have similar laws on their books.
UNQUOTE

Previous Topic: Why do we look?
Next Topic: One very courageous youth.
Goto Forum: