A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > IOM Site Search
IOM Site Search  [message #68938] Fri, 23 January 2015 17:31 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have been getting increasingly disenchanted with our site search engine, htdig, a product unsupported since about 2004. Today I replaced it with an imperfect successor.

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=1718&private=0

Obviously that is an image!

The search looks at the pages Big G has indexed, but in the entire site. It is not the search that the forum uses, because that searches the forum database, it is a simple Google search, no more and no less.

The upside is that the search database update is done by G. The downside is that the entire site is not indexed. Additionally, it indexes the rendered version of pages, not the raw data. So, if a search item is in the left hand menu, for example, it returns a load of hits that are irrelevant because they are contained in the left hand menu. It just uses the site: construct to restrict the search to the site itself. Try it out and see.

It also returns forum pages, whch may mean we get a good few more new members.

htdig was broken, as any of you who tried it will know. And the search results it created were, well, awful.

I'm going to work with Megaman to see if it can be improved a smidgen, since, at present, it opens a G search results page. I'd prefer something slightly better than that, but, if this is what we can do, this is what we can do.

[Updated on: Fri, 23 January 2015 17:45]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: IOM Site Search  [message #68942 is a reply to message #68938] Sat, 24 January 2015 05:58 Go to previous message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

At least it works.

raysstories.com
Previous Topic: Russell Crowe Shocks Fans by Coming Out!
Next Topic: BFI's film Pride, 2014
Goto Forum: