A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > To Serve Man
To Serve Man  [message #70187] Fri, 04 September 2015 22:57 Go to next message
larkin is currently offline  larkin

Toe is in the water

Many years ago there was a Twilight Zone teleplay entitled, "To Serve Man"

It was a 30 minute sifi epic about big brained visitors from another world.  They came bearing gifts.  A cure for all diseases, the end of all war and methods to grow more than enough food for all.

They were called the Kanamits and they communicated telepathically.  Carrying a large book, bearing the title, "To Serve Man", the leader addressed the UN and said, "We come in peace."

When the initial fright of aliens among us wore off it gave way to fascination and interest.  People took trips to visit the Kanamits far away planet and many settled there.

Suspicious code breakers studied the book that the Kanamits had brought with them but they were frustrated.  The only thing they had was the title. "To Serve Man"

One of them decided to take a trip the Kanamit's home planet.  Just as he was boarding the alien ship his assistant came running through the crowd yelling.  "Don't go! The book, "To Serve Man, it's a cookbook!"

http://vignette3.wik...=20121120113235

~

This is exactly how I feel about Facebook, Google and Microsoft.  I am not against high tech but this goes way beyond the individual. Today they are collecting information but tomorrow they may be managing our lives to suit a larger entity.  I also know that there is no way to stop it and every day, there are fewer and fewer places to hide from this colossal organism. 

We are unwittingly constructing the Matrix and it will be the death of the individual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULq1ajA1Jek

[Updated on: Fri, 04 September 2015 23:16]

Re: To Serve Man  [message #70190 is a reply to message #70187] Sun, 06 September 2015 12:20 Go to previous message
larkin is currently offline  larkin

Toe is in the water

Keep in mind that I am not a computer genius but I have taken the first step.  I had a bug ridden computer and I did a fresh install of windows and from there I did a duel boot install with Windows 7 and Unbuntu(Linux).  When I turn it on, it gives me a choice between the 2 operating systems.  It was easy and it will just take a little getting used to.  No virus and no annual $89 virus protection fee.
Previous Topic: Ryan Bartlett
Next Topic: The Russian Threat!
Goto Forum: