A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > HIV Medicine Price hike
HIV Medicine Price hike  [message #70236] Wed, 23 September 2015 19:17 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

A 32-year old hedge fund manager just purchased the rights to an essential medication used by cancer and HIV patients. His first move? Jack the cost from $13.50 per pill to $750 overnight.

This is nothing less than an enormous cash grab from a vulnerable population who have no choice but to pay. Sign this petition now to ask Martin Shkreli to fully reverse the price increase now, and stop exploiting the sick:

http://action.sumofus.org/a/martin-shkreli/?sub=taf

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: HIV Medicine Price hike  [message #70237 is a reply to message #70236] Wed, 23 September 2015 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

He's already feeling the heat and says that the price will be reduced over the next few weeks. Of course he doesn't say what that new price will be. Or exactly how many weeks. Or what people who need it will have to do while he rethinks his price rise. (And his hike was only 5000% after all.)

Funny that the mainstream media didn't mention its usefulness for AIDS sufferers. Hollywood would've gone batshit.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/drug-ceo-will-lower-pric e-daraprim-after-outrage-n431926
Re: HIV Medicine Price hike  [message #70239 is a reply to message #70237] Thu, 24 September 2015 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

Shave all his body hair and ship him to Afghanistan.

raysstories.com
Re: HIV Medicine Price hike  [message #70242 is a reply to message #70236] Thu, 24 September 2015 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ivor slipper is currently offline  ivor slipper

Likes it here

I don't agree with his actions, but doubt he will be concerned about a petition.

The drug in question appears to have been developed in the 1950s so would now be out of patent in which case another manufacturer could produce a duplicate surely?
Re: HIV Medicine Price hike  [message #70244 is a reply to message #70236] Thu, 24 September 2015 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
larkin is currently offline  larkin

Toe is in the water

I apologize for my salty language but it couldn't be helped..

I am sure that you've read the recent story in the news about the weasel, hedge funder who purchased the company that manufactured a drug essential for treating toxoplasmosis.  As a marketing strategy he raised the price 5500%.

Forces unseen, have compelled this little weasel to sell the firm back to the original owners who have quietly doubled the old price.

If you think it was a humanitarian gesture, think again...

Currently, thanks to the affordable care act, the US government cannot negotiate wholesale drug costs.  Why?  Because it was the pharmaceuticals who wrote the legislation and whores that they are, our elected officials greedily took the money..  

They got this guy in a corner and said,  "You can't do that! You're gonna f*ck-up a good thing for all of us!"

The truth is they are all egregiously over charging.   Thanks to the passive compliance of the government and with great precision, these corporations are pushing as far as the traffic will bare... In concert, they have a system and they can't have this little weasel coming in and ruining everything.

A side effect of this situation is that people with insufficient funds are trying to order from foreign pharmaceutical outlets most commonly in Canada.

The Fed's response is one: "Don't trust medications purchased abroad, they'll kill you!"

And 2:  They use the Post Office to confiscate drug purchases considered illegal, depriving desperate people of their medication. 

In a truly free market place you should be able to purchase drugs anywhere at the lowest price.  These big corporations want a free market for themselves,...but not for us.

Do you see the contradiction?

Ask yourself, "Who the is the government working for?"

[Updated on: Thu, 24 September 2015 12:28]

Re: HIV Medicine Price hike  [message #70245 is a reply to message #70244] Thu, 24 September 2015 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ashdaw is currently offline  Ashdaw

Toe is in the water

I thought that the cost of AZT went up years ago? I guess this is no different.
Sad to see that the $$$$ are more important.
Re: HIV Medicine Price hike  [message #70248 is a reply to message #70245] Thu, 24 September 2015 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

When are they not?

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: HIV Medicine Price hike  [message #70251 is a reply to message #70248] Fri, 25 September 2015 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ashdaw is currently offline  Ashdaw

Toe is in the water

You are correct Warren but, it is a sad state of affairs. Sad
Re: HIV Medicine Price hike  [message #70387 is a reply to message #70236] Fri, 23 October 2015 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

An update, just in case anyone hasn't seen it.

There's now a $1-a-pill competitor to pharma CEO Martin Shkreli's $750-a-pill drug
< https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/theres-now-1-pill-competit or-202700857.html>
Re: HIV Medicine Price hike  [message #70401 is a reply to message #70242] Sun, 25 October 2015 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Matthews is currently offline  James Matthews

Toe is in the water

Quote:
ivor slipper wrote on Thu, 24 September 2015 12:49I don't agree with his actions, but doubt he will be concerned about a petition.

The drug in question appears to have been developed in the 1950s so would now be out of patent in which case another manufacturer could produce a duplicate surely?

--

That's what I was wondering. I mean, as I understand it, when something is out of patent what's stopping even lil ole me from cooking up a batch of pills and shipping them out to the sick for.... FREE!
Re: HIV Medicine Price hike  [message #70415 is a reply to message #70401] Sun, 25 October 2015 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

Quote:
WestcliffWriter wrote on Sun, 25 October 2015 19:33
Quote:

":"
ivor slipper wrote on Thu, 24 September 2015 12:49I don't agree with his actions, but doubt he will be concerned about a petition.

--

That's what I was wondering. I mean, as I understand it, when something is out of patent what's stopping even lil ole me from cooking up a batch of pills and shipping them out to the sick for.... FREE!

--

99 cents is almost free... see my post above.
Re: HIV Medicine Price hike  [message #70420 is a reply to message #70415] Sun, 25 October 2015 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

Good. Now the money-grubby bastard can go fuck himself. I hope he looses millions of dollars as well as financial backing and reputation and ends up flipping burgers.
I'm a firm believer in free markets and capitalism, but he is a real piece of trash. What he did was not free-market or capitalism, just greedy. Free-market economies determine the cost of an item: what someone can or is willing to pay for something, not the absolute most the creator/provider can demand.

raysstories.com
Re: HIV Medicine Price hike  [message #70466 is a reply to message #70236] Fri, 30 October 2015 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dgt224 is currently offline  dgt224

Toe is in the water

Martin Shkreli was trying to take advantage of the fact that the pharmaceutical industry is not a free market, at least in the United States. He was counting on the expense involved in convincing the FDA that a generic drug is equivalent to an approved drug like Daraprim to make it impractical for anyone else to start providing a less expensive generic form of pyrimethamine. Since he came to pharmaceuticals from a background as a hedge fund manager, he presumably wasn't aware that a compounding pharmacy wouldn't be faced with the FDA roadblocks that would keep out a manufacturer of generic drugs.

The failure of his plans? Couldn't happen to a more deserving pirate.
Re: HIV Medicine Price hike  [message #70644 is a reply to message #70466] Thu, 17 December 2015 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

He has been arrested for something technical and financial

Bye!

Gotta love Karma

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: HIV Medicine Price hike  [message #70648 is a reply to message #70236] Fri, 18 December 2015 16:40 Go to previous message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/1 2056164/Businessman-Martin-Shkreli-who-increased-Aids-relate d-drug-price-arrested-on-fraud-charges.html

[Updated on: Fri, 18 December 2015 17:02] by Moderator

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Previous Topic: So if... why...
Next Topic: Be careful with your twitter account
Goto Forum: