A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Chiaroscuro
Chiaroscuro  [message #75752] Tue, 14 May 2019 18:48 Go to next message
Teddy is currently offline  Teddy

Really getting into it

Chiaroscuro by Joe Casey

http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/joe-casey/shorts/chiaro scuro.html

Without throwing spoiler into the mix, this particular genre of story is not one we see much of on these sites but frankly, I think it's the best gay teen stories I've read for quite some time. Not only is it well written but it opens a door or shines a little bit of the light of understanding into places or thoughts or areas that many of us are afraid to go. Thanks Joe, for this one. Well done. Smile

“There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.” - Terry Pratchett
Re: Chiaroscuro  [message #75753 is a reply to message #75752] Tue, 14 May 2019 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luvtwinks is currently offline  luvtwinks

Likes it here

I could tell the genre of this story early on and that really didn't interest me so I stopped reading. However, after reading Teddy's comments perhaps I will revisit the story to see what it has to offer. Never hurts to get out of one's comfort zone once in a while.
Re: Chiaroscuro  [message #75754 is a reply to message #75752] Tue, 14 May 2019 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joecasey is currently offline  joecasey

Toe is in the water

I thank you very much for your kind comments on the story.  I warned Timmy when I submitted the story that it might not fall within the "guidelines" this site has set for itself and that I would completely understand it if he told me that he wanted to pass on it.  For some reason (no spoilers) this is where the photograph took me.  I was afraid that the story had landed here with a dull thud; very heartening to see that some people are reading and responding to it.  I enjoyed writing it and exploring just a very little bit of that world and I hope I did it some justice.
Re: Chiaroscuro  [message #75761 is a reply to message #75754] Wed, 15 May 2019 11:02 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

"joecasey wrote on Tue, 14 May 2019 23:04"
I thank you very much for your kind comments on the story.  I warned Timmy when I submitted the story that it might not fall within the "guidelines" this site has set for itself and that I would completely understand it if he told me that he wanted to pass on it.  For some reason (no spoilers) this is where the photograph took me.  I was afraid that the story had landed here with a dull thud; very heartening to see that some people are reading and responding to it.  I enjoyed writing it and exploring just a very little bit of that world and I hope I did it some justice.

--
I'm not really sure why you thought it might be outside the site's niche, especially in a challenge tale.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: By Any Other Name
Next Topic: Quick question
Goto Forum: