A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > New York Makes Same-Sex Marriage Legal
icon7.gif New York Makes Same-Sex Marriage Legal  [message #65904] Sat, 25 June 2011 14:13 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

"It's a big, big deal. The country is ready to acknowledge the right of gay couples to marry. For young people, it's a no-brainer. For those of us who are older, a lifetime of experience has taught us that gay Americans are our friends, our neighbors, our relatives, and maybe our children. But change has been thwarted by the structure of our politics, which give disproportionate strength to tiny slivers of voters.

We needed some stalwart lawmakers to break the jam. Who would have imagined we'd find them in Albany?"

~ Dan Collins, Editor-At-large, The Huffington Post

I watched the session from start to finish last evening, taking the time to cook supper, make phone calls, and when it came down to the vote, my good friend Warren Austin, who was on the speaker phone with me, & I listened as history was made.
As my colleague Dan Collins pointed out, it is a really, really big deal.

I rejoice for New Yorkers and I rejoice for my fellow LGBTQ folk who now have seen equality moved a couple of centuries past the bronze-age mentality and propaganda of the Yank far-right Christonazis, and as a Gay man, I rejoice for me to have the very essence of my self and humanity validated by the legislative body of the State of New York.
I now have another option if I so chose, to have my love registered officially and sanctioned by law. I just hope that the Congress of The United States and the Supreme Court of the United States is paying attention.

To those brave legislators in Albany, I say well done and "brilliant."

Brody Levesque
Correspondent & Editor
BL Freelance News Service LLC
Washington D. C.
email: theroadtraveler@gmail.com
Phone: 202 556 0877

Crowd outside the historic Stonewall Inn on Christopher Street in NYC, June 24th, 2011 [ Photo via Joe Jervis, Editor & Publisher Joe.My.God ]
Re: New York Makes Same-Sex Marriage Legal  [message #65911 is a reply to message #65904] Tue, 28 June 2011 01:50 Go to previous message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

"We hold these truths to be self-evident"

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Previous Topic: Sometimes I have to check
Next Topic: Direct from the pages at <netscape.aol.com> this morning ...
Goto Forum: