A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > New Postings
New Postings  [message #68085] Sat, 02 November 2013 22:22 Go to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Timmy, I have asked you this in private and now I am asking you again in public.  Why are we not getting any new postings of stories?
You gave me vague answers, but you also implied that you have three months' worth of stories ready to go with another three months' stock.  If the stories are ready to go, then they must be ready to go.  As you know, I have a couple of stories in the queue.  That's my personal interest, but I also share with many others a public interest in the Story Shelf.

Hugs
Nigel

[edited. some things are private. timmy]

[Updated on: Sat, 02 November 2013 23:47] by Moderator

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: New Postings  [message #68086 is a reply to message #68085] Sat, 02 November 2013 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We have a large queue. The queue is emptying, and there are new postings of stories. Please see the changelog where you will see that the volume has diminished a smidgen, but that the overall posting scheme is working well enough. I am being careful not to seek out as many new stories as previously because the queue is large. Even so I am pleased that we do have some new stories entering the queue.

This is not a job, this is a hobby. I should probably mention that we set up other sites with revenue streams in order to finance this site, and that these revenue streams are not what they once were either. That setting up of the other sites was hard work, all done to keep this site running for the foreseeable future. However, Megaman performs significant work to get the stories ready for the queue, and we are immensely grateful to him for his hard work.

If you have ever submitted work to mainstream publishing you will know that you hear nothing for ages and ages, and then may get an acceptance slip. Then, eventually, in a time period over which you have no control, the story gets published. There is a difference here. My acceptance slip is immediate.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: New Postings  [message #68090 is a reply to message #68086] Sun, 03 November 2013 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Thank you, Timmy.  I am sure we all appreciate the work you and Megaman do.  I did look at the change log, and what used to be three postings a week has become one posting a week.  I appreciate this is a hobby and not a job for you.  I too fill my time with a lot of voluntary work, a hobby for me, not a job, and so I can view things from your angle.

Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: New Postings  [message #68092 is a reply to message #68090] Sun, 03 November 2013 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

You have looked at the change log, yes, but you have not studied it. Please examine it with greater care. The overall volume has diminished by approximately three story units per week. You are confusing number of times new story units are issued with the number of units per issue.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: New Postings  [message #68093 is a reply to message #68090] Sun, 03 November 2013 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Now that you have had the chance to reflect, I'd like you to consider this element of your initial post:
Quote:
I have asked you this in private and now I am asking you again in public.  Why are we not getting any new postings of stories?

Let me replay you that set of words the way I read it:
Quote:
Since you answered me in private and I did not like the answer, I am now going to pillory you in public on your own web forum to try to get the answer I want

I'd like one thing to be clear. Whatever you meant when you wrote it, that is how I interpreted your words. I have chosen to leave the message up because, just as it says on my talk page on Wikipedia, I do not remove personal attacks

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=1656&private=0

I did edit what you said, purely to remove private information that ought never to have appeared in the message anyway, but that is all I removed, and it was not about me anyway.

So I'd like you to go back outside the room and consider what you have said to me, and then, when you come in again, to handle the matter entirely differently.

Re: New Postings  [message #68095 is a reply to message #68093] Mon, 04 November 2013 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have moved this post from the forum where we discuss stories per so to the forum where we discuss things, for this is a thing. There are no stories being discussed. Pleasingly, the new forum allows this and keeps track in the Literary Merit forum of where this post has gone. It was out of place there.

I deprecate cyberbullying  [message #68097 is a reply to message #68093] Wed, 06 November 2013 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Well, it seems that you have reflected and not responded. In case you are in any doubt, the behaviour you exhibited in your opening salvo was a form of cyberbullying, a behaviour I deprecate, and am immune to. It was unpleasantly rude while being couched in words that appeared to be polite. I do not tolerate the bullying of others, and I see no reason to tolerate bullying directed at me.

[edited for brevity]

[Updated on: Wed, 06 November 2013 10:31]

CALL ME!  [message #68108 is a reply to message #68097] Tue, 12 November 2013 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

Warren
Re: CALL ME!  [message #68110 is a reply to message #68108] Tue, 12 November 2013 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

If you want me to call you to talk about this, Warren, my view is that this topic is better aired in the open.

When I first saw this thread some days ago ...  [message #68111 is a reply to message #68110] Tue, 12 November 2013 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... I read the first paragraph of Nigel's post and thought ... Oh it's about the Story Shelf and our authors' stories being not published in a timely enough fashion, and said to myself, not really my concern, and moved on.

This thread has sat there ever since without so much as another thought on my part, even though I did notice there was some activity.

Not until this morning have I ventured further into the topic and read each and every post; prompted I might add solely by Timmy's comments in the newly created "Does anybody give a flying fuck?" thread.

For the record:  Administration of this Forum, it's parent site <iomfats.org> and all the separate components therein are Timmy's (and to a large degree Megaman's) responsibility.  No-one else.  This has been a given as long as I have been a visitor (15-years?) and member (12-years?) and none of us have ever been made aware of it being otherwise.

Now, what I want to know is what the hell is going on around here?

I do not want to see another round of vitriol and unbridled animus being slung about as was the case some years ago when I was last heard on this subject.

Granted there is not a whole lot of recent activity going on here; but, there has been some thought expressed and comment made on half-a-dozen threads or so that I and others have created in past weeks.  Further I and a host of others, many of whom are seldom if ever at all heard from in recent years continue to await that ONE (or MORE) troubled individual(s) who may seek our collected guidance should the need arise.  That's amongst the many reasons why many of us came here, and have remained.

We DO NOT NEED rancour and ill-will permeating what apparently continues to be a rather fragile paradigm.

Moreover, Timmy and his editor's have volunteered their time and expertise in presenting the wealth of pleasurable reading afforded by this web-site's Story Shelf.  I for one am grateful for their undertaking, and would never, ever, dream of questioning either their dedication or goodwill.

And yes Timmy, I do want to speak to you about this, and this time off-the-record.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Wed, 13 November 2013 08:48]

Re: When I first saw this thread some days ago ...  [message #68112 is a reply to message #68111] Tue, 12 November 2013 22:09 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

With this one,Warren, I'd rather stay on the record. Some things need daylight and transparency. I have never accepted that unpleasing behaviour should be dealt with in camera, nor discussed in camera.

We have, as you have pretty much pointed out, a benign dictatorship. I do my very best to be as fair as humanly possible to every person, and to every author. We have one author who is published here who fell out with me many years ago, though I never fell out with him. He gets the same fair treatment as all the others. I view such even handedness as my duty and my pleasure.

I have no idea whether Nigel as fallen out with me or not, I know I have, for the present, found his behaviour to be unacceptable, but that does not prejudice the position of his stories in the queue, nor, though I was severely tempted to a fit of pique, to his stories already on the site. Instead I waited. Oddly, I have infinite patience for such things. I simply felt it was time to draw attention to the issue

Previous Topic: Hairy and drop dead gorgeous
Next Topic: They say paper is dead.
Goto Forum: